Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wrecker company I work for also has a body shop so I sent my 2010 Rav in for some cosmetic work. They replaced the rear bumper cover. Replaced the passenger side mirror repaired some small dents in the passengers door and removed the front bumper cover, painted it and reinstalled it. During that time the car was started and moved several times and the battery was disconnected as many times, but they left the rear hatch open over nite on one occasion and the battery drained to "0"... They used a jump box to try to get it started and now it won't crank. The door locks, horn lights, etc all work with the exception of the radio and the dash instruments and computer center... no display. The car has a remote start but according to the installer it should have nothing to do with not starting. It's designed to start on the key if the remote fails.
We spent the better part of the day checking fuses and relays. Also looking for something that got unplugged somewhere. We tried the other keys for the car with no fix. We gave up!
The garage next door mentioned something about an inertia switch in the dash that needs to be reset :frown:frown. I'm not about to start tearing the car apart looking for a reset someplace!
Does anyone have an idea as to what happened here? It seems a very odd situation!
THANKS! for the help!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If the engine doesn't crank, check the 30 AMP AM2 fuse located in the fuse box under the hood, on the left side.

Also try cranking with the transmission in neutral to eliminate the possibility that the transmission safety switch is the cause of the problem.

Although unlikely, you may want to check that the ST relay located in the interior junction box (near the drivers left knee) has not become unseated.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
If your battery was drained to zero as you say, then it was most likely damaged. Try charging it for 8 hours. If it's still drawing 1-2 amps, after that time, then you probably have a shorted cell.

But what's puzzling to me is that the RAV4 is supposed to turn off the interior lights automatically after 15 minutes to save the battery. This doesn't apply to the map lights which can be switched on manually and don't turn off until you turn them off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the Rav is now starting. It was a blown fuse somewhere in the system. The rear hatch was left open is the story the body guy is sticking to. I have not had the car long enough to know if the interior lights shut off if left on...I'll check that out. So when the battery went dead the battery charger must have been how he tried to start the car. It cranked for a second and that's when the fuse blew. After hours of hunting, they towed it to the dealer told them the story of what happened and they had the car starting in less than 5 minutes. I don't know what fuse it was, I asked but they never asked, so I don't know either. One of you my know... Thanks for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts