Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got to take leave and I'm headed out tomorrow morning till the end of the month.

My journeys will take me to Central Florida, North Carolina, Ohio.

Tentative stops in Illinois, Colorado and Vegas are up in the air depending on the people I'm to visit.

Should be a fun trip, I just hit 1000 miles last night and the bugs (if any were to pop up) should be worked out by now.

I haven't seen my family in about three years and I really wanted to before deploying in September (especially if I didn't get a chance to see them again).

I got my Rav all armored up with a clear bra, zaino, mudguards, bumper protector (that thing has already paid for itself with the luggage I carry around in and out of the back all the time) and an assortment of other stuff. Its been a great vehicle and its so comfortable. I burned 4 mp3 disks and along with my portable player I should be free from local radio stations while on the road. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
made it to florida on one piece.

preliminary fuel mileage results, keep in mind I'm no where what you would call a docile driver. I'm a left laner when I can if ya know what I mean. :D

tank 1 - AC on half the time, cruise set @ 75-80 depending on traffic, slight hills 26.7 mpg.

tank 2 - AC on all the time, cruise set @ 75-80, had to gas pedal it due to traffic more, hilly terrain 27.5 mpg.

tank 3 - AC on, cruise set @ 55-80 depending on towns ran into, flat 25.6 mpg

tank 4 - AC on, cruise set @ 75-80, 27.1 mpg.

the seats start off comfortable but even the best seats start hurting after 15+ hours on the road, but I folded down a rear seat, popped a pillow down and slept about 7 hours in mississippi at a secure rest stop and was good to go the next morning. I'm 6' 1" and with the front seat all the way forward I had enough room to stretch out in the rear. Just need a small padded mattress for the floor and I got a winner!

This thing goes from 80-90 real quick while passing people on the highway. So far this is a terrific road vehicle. The AC doesn't seem to rob mileage, the engine thrives on speed and the tires are smooth as glass. The crap pavement of west texas and mississippi can make the quietest car noisey and the Rav was no exception but it wasnt so bad I couldnt talk on the hands free and not hear.

It gets better mileage than my wifes Altima Se-R 6spd, its quieter, its bigger and runs on 87 oct poop gas, I'm getting to hate this SUV more and more :p

Oh yeah, the clear bra earned its first kudo, took a decent sized rock to the hood from a semi kicking it up and nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Not even a blemish and I was fearing the worst when I checked it at a fuel stop. Another bad investment.... :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, leave got cut short due to pushed up deployment.

averaged 25-27 mpg for the trip. the speeds on the highway averaged 68-75 mph depending on the state and time of day

I got the worst mileage in Florida at 25 mpg. heat, humidity and heavier air probably played a part in aerodynamics as well as fuel to air ratios.

best mileage in Texas. Dry, hot and higher altitude helped out I'd say.

gas used was the low grade stuff and there was no difference in performance over the midgrade I started with.

distance driven was just over 3500 miles. I got my first oil change at Deland Toyota (the same guys that brought you the bumper protector). 25 minutes in and out. Nice and quick and only $26.

gripes about the Rav after spending about 50+ hours driving it.

1. The random feature with an MP3 disk is completely useless. the person that came up with the algorythym for the random chip is an asshole. It plays the same 5 songs over and over again and if you press forward it doesn't forward to a random song, it goes to the next and after that one plays it starts the same pattern over again. Like I said, the engineer that came up with this is an a-hole at best.

2. The seats seem to be a bit too wide for me and I'm 6'1" and about 195lbs. of course after sitting in the seat for so long it could just be that I'm getting old and cant drive as long as I once could.

3. the hood flops a bit. as heavy as it is it should actually absorb all movement around it but instead the middle does a little dance at highway speeds. annoying but thats all.

4. the steering wheel needs to be farther out from the dash, even at full extension I have to move my seat too close to the dash to get comfortable arm length.

5. the antenna flops around in the wind real bad and when I took it off the empty hole whistled. I didnt have a bolt to put in it so I put it back on. haha, crazy that it whistled, like a tea pot.

thats about it for dislikes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nice to hear everything went well - awesome gas mileage. I mentioned the non-random 'random play' in another post and no-one picked up on it. It really does suck. I can't believe that on a 30 song cd, they cannot come up with a random program other than to pick the same handful of songs over and over. I really got to hate them.

Toyota, how about a firmware upgrade? Can that be done?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SeriousBlack said:
You’re getting the same mpg average as me ... not bad for a 269 hp 87 octane machine
you aint kiddin. I cant believe that it runs so well on poop gas. My wifes altima with a 3.5l and about as much hp has to run on premium. and we get about the same mileage. haha, crazy.

that random feature of the stereo really pisses me off. I just cant believe they never even tested it or if they did they let it go out like that. I wonder if there is a firmware update. maybe someone should email toyota of usa and find out. I'm not professional enough to email them and not tell them how I truly feel about the whole thing without cussing my head off.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Eastern New Mexico + Deployment = Clovis/Cannon AFB?

My wife is from Portales, although she relocated to the Seattle area back in 1997. I visit there once a year around Christmas. She has a lot of family in the area, many of which with ties to the military.

I wish you the best in your deployment - your RAV will be waiting (those MPG's are making me salivate for the time when I finally offload my Ranger 4x4 4.0 for the V6 RAV4)!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Masterblaster said:
4. the steering wheel needs to be farther out from the dash, even at full extension I have to move my seat too close to the dash to get comfortable arm length.
Is this with the steer wheel fully telescoped out? I've never tried to pull it all the way out so don't know how far out it goes.

Glad you made it there safe.

P

·
0 Posts
Awesome gas milage...

Another reason wjhy its INSANE to get the I4. Theres no way in hell Id get one today. If only I could repurchase my RAV.

Oh well. Live and learn.

B

·
0 Posts
puttputt said:
Is this with the steer wheel fully telescoped out? I've never tried to pull it all the way out so don't know how far out it goes.
I can't speak for masterblaster, but I've got my wheel fully telescoped and still find it a bit of a stretch.

As for the hood flopping - this is possiblyto do with new European pedestrian safety legislation. A pedestrian hit by the vehicle should be able to bounce on the hood without sustaining too much additional injuries. The hood should deform, but not so much that they end up impacting the engine block.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
purdue, you should have bought the V6 if you are that hard up for horsepower, I am sure that you knew at the time of purchase that the RAV comes with a 6 right?

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Awesome gas milage...

purduealum91 said:
Another reason wjhy its INSANE to get the I4. Theres no way in hell Id get one today. If only I could repurchase my RAV.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Sell that puppy and get you a V6. As many posts I have read about your buyers remorse, it should be worth taking a little financial hit to get what you want. Hell if you lived a little closer I would buy it. My wife loves my I4, we could be a two RAV family :D

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Awesome gas milage...

sstarrx3 said:
Sell that puppy and get you a V6. As many posts I have read about your buyers remorse, it should be worth taking a little financial hit to get what you want. Hell if you lived a little closer I would buy it. My wife loves my I4, we could be a two RAV family :D
Here here!! :cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the wheel is fully telescoped but its just about 3-4 inches too close to the dash for my taste but its not so bad I cant live with it, just after 20+ hours in a vehicle you find things that you dont like. :D

Get the V6, dont compromise or tell yourself that everyone goes the same speed eventually, no need to get there fast. There is absolutely no, I repeat NO benefit to getting the 4cyl. Gas mileage is moot, maintenance is moot. Maybe for a teenagers first vehicle to keep them out of trouble (this thing is faster than my first three cars so it would have probably been wise for the 4banger from a parents standpoint).

Cannon AFB, yep. I've been stationed here 5 eternal years but in March I PCS to Nellis. At least by the time I leave here I'll have been gone almost 3 of those years on TDY's/Deployments. It helps to get out of here as much as possible. Clovis NM is probably the dirtiest, crime ridden place I've ever lived.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Masterblaster said:
1. The random feature with an MP3 disk is completely useless. the person that came up with the algorythym for the random chip is an asshole. It plays the same 5 songs over and over again and if you press forward it doesn't forward to a random song, it goes to the next and after that one plays it starts the same pattern over again. Like I said, the engineer that came up with this is an a-hole at best.

thats about it for dislikes.
I totally agree with you on the seat. I'm having trouble finding a comfortable position with the seat/dash/pedals/steering wheel. Everything would be perfect if the steering wheel came back just another inch or so. As it is, I have to fiddle with everything else since the steering wheel can't move any more. I have to move my seat just a bit too far forward. This is my least favorite part of the car. I'm thinking I should have just waited for a Limited so that there are power seats. After taxes and registration, my sport cost just over $30K. That's a lot money for something that isn't completely comfortable for me. Too late to return the car, I'm wondering how much time/money/effort it would take to convert a power Limited Seat to my Sport. I'll start a new thread with that question.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread but since the discussion of the not so random random and will only play 1 MP3 CD issue came up, I thought I would post this. I emailed Toyota about these issues last week, basically asking if it was true that the head unit wouldn't random play multiple MP3 CDs and asking if there was any update that could fix this, this is their reply.

-----------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize the audio unit in your Rav4 does not meet your needs. We apologize there is no firmware updates for this system.

Your feedback is appreciated. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200609111692. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience
-----------------------------------------

Bummer. Looks like I will be adding an aftermarket head unit / changer after all.

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts