Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight on the way home with persistent snow, the roads were just wet to start, but temp was right around 32, so ice started to build up on the front end.

*BEEP-BEEP* RADAR CRUISE UNAVAILABLE. CLEAN SENSOR
Fair enough I shouldn't be using that anyway. A few minutes later:
*BEEP-BEEP* FRONT CAMERA SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE.
OK. Several more minutes pass.
*BEEP-BEEP* PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE
At this point I had the blinking "no-pre collision" icon, and the FRONT CAMERA SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE pop-up kept popping up.
I come up to the first stop sign in a while and as soon as I get under 10 MPH
*BEEEEEEEEP* That was the parking sensor desperately trying to warn me of an imminent object. Fortunately the parking sensor system figured out something was wrong and it didn't keep doing that.

Also, as you can see, LED headlights don't melt snow very well.
Bottom line, when driving in the snow, be prepared to get out and clean off everything periodically to get rid of the beeping blinking christmas tree and pop up windows, and also, see at night.
Is there a "heated entire front end" option? :laugh

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not as bad as loosing satellite reception during key plays in football games because it is raining too hard! Dish network still proclaims that weather does not interrupt service!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, ouch. I didn't have a problem with direcTV during the heaviest part of the blizzard up here, so I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is there a short cut to turn everything related to these sensors off or do we have to do them one by one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd have to turn them off one by one. I had turned off the lane departure/steering assist early in the trip though, but the system still warned me when it became impaired. I had to turn that one on then off again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why? Did you all get snow there back east? :nerd

But seriously, on the positive side, I test drove one in a raging storm coming down hard enough that the lane dividing lines were becoming invisible. The radar and camera combination for the dynamic cruise control continued to function. I did see some degradation in the lane departure warning system presumably because it is only an optical system and the lines were becoming covered.

I wasn't savvy enough then, last week, to check to see if the radar port was covered with snow (behind the grill logo emblem) - I wish I had.

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is the snow causing the malfunctions. Not a big deal at all. Just clean the front parking sensors and Toyota emblem and all the warnings will go away. It happened to me this morning while driving to work in the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is one thing about LED headlight technology. It doesn't warm up the headlight housing to melt the snow. Toyota should offer heated headlight washers with cars with LED headlights. My gen III Prius had them. I don't think they were headed. But, it helped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is one thing about LED headlight technology. It doesn't warm up the headlight housing to melt the snow. Toyota should offer heated headlight washers with cars with LED headlights. My gen III Prius had them. I don't think they were headed. But, it helped.
And washers for the radar emblem and all six cameras too ! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about making the radiator fans run in reverse when it's cold? It would blow all the warm air forward - instant melting!

·
Registered
846 Posts
So my wife tells me that the parking assist malfunction warning cleared on its own. I was ready to find out where all the sensors are so I can wipe them clean.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dirt galore on the car in the last couple of days here in Central Ontario. No sensor warnings, but lots of dirty snow crap collecting under the car. I noticed it collects on the bottom of the doors a lot too - you have to kick it off the doors when you open them. Yuk! And of course the cameras get very dirty - but at least the parking sensors front and rear are working good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this happen a few times after snowfalls in Winnipeg. The first time I panicked but figured out how to disable through the menu built into the display in front of the steering wheel. I'm more conscious of it now so I just use a winter brush to go around the bumpers (you can see the sensors if you look close). If I need to use it for parking, I just turn it back on. Once you figure out where they are in the menu you can do it pretty quick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you get into bad snow driving situations like your picture indicated, your going to get this with any vehicle. I know what your saying though, the beeping and false alerts can drive you crazy but fortunately driving conditions like this are usually the lessor of your driving time.

Heated headlight and camera washers would help some, but they still aren't a cure all for when you get that really wet and heavy snow like you pictured.

As someone who is looking to buy one of these, I love the real world comments and feedback from everyone!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a car as high as the limited I would have expected a few things, including headlight washers as at least "an option". It wouldn't be horribly expensive to add it in the scheme of things. And with the Entune system capable of knowing when there is "snow", wouldn't it be nice if it asked you if you wanted to disable the sensors for your current "startup to shutdown" trip? For me I spend a few hours each day on a highway and I can tell you factually that stopping to "clean off sensors" is not at all practical in most lengths of the driving. Moreover, fumbling with dials and controls is of course a wee tad dangerous as well.

They have a rear window washer so it's not like putting in a front one on at least the headlights would have been pretty super easy. And being able to "disable due to snow" the other sensors with a single button selection for perhaps just your current trip would have been pretty smart and cost no more than a bit of software time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts