Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have details on how to remove the side panels in the cargo area? These are the side panels behind the rear seats. Trying to find a rattle and do some sound deadening while there

·
Registered
154 Posts

See #178. I just did.
1. Remove the rear seat bench
2. remove rear seat back
3. remove rear seat bracket
4. Lower Garnish
4. remove the rear seat front panel
5. remove the rear panel in cargo

Does anyone have details on how to remove the side panels in the cargo area? These are the side panels behind the rear seats. Trying to find a rattle and do some sound deadening while there

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you removed cargo panels on the right side, don't forget to open the extra storage arear (for gas model):

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was tempted by this thread to do a similar project, but in the end I chickened out and had it done in a shop instead. It took them a full day to do the doors and the trunk, but I am so happy with the result. The annoying rumble from all the naked metal sheets has been reduced to almost nothing, and the sound system sounds much better as well.

The guys in the shop took pictures along the way, and I thought I'd share them here for anyone curious about such a project: RAV4 sound deadening by carsound.dk
They were really thorough! I put a greater quantity of mat down inside the doors, but I never thought to add layers on the plastic panels as well.

That said, in the next few weekends I am going to get a bucket of roofing tar or rubber road patch and paint / goop it down into the bottom areas on all the doors where I couldn't get the Noico. Granted, at this point I can whisper to people in the back seats at 50mph, so I have made a lot of progress since stock. But, every little bit helps!

·
Registered
144 Posts
They were really thorough! I put a greater quantity of mat down inside the doors, but I never thought to add layers on the plastic panels as well.

That said, in the next few weekends I am going to get a bucket of roofing tar or rubber road patch and paint / goop it down into the bottom areas on all the doors where I couldn't get the Noico. Granted, at this point I can whisper to people in the back seats at 50mph, so I have made a lot of progress since stock. But, every little bit helps!
adding it to the rear of the plastic on my CX5 worked extremely well. I’m very happy with the denim insulation I added between the metal door and the plastic door panel too. Very cheap and has a high sound absorption rating.

Are you sure you want to go with a liquid asphalt product like roofing tar? I’d hate for it to clog anything where water is designed to weep out, or smell like crazy on a hot day or something.

I was going to do sound deadening butyl sheets on the floor of my CX5 but it already has some kind of deadening epoxy on the floor. I’m going to opt for a closed cell foam layer with mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Doors, cargo hatch and spare tire area are all done and the last of the cabin noise is clearly from the floor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
adding it to the rear of the plastic on my CX5 worked extremely well. I’m very happy with the denim insulation I added between the metal door and the plastic door panel too. Very cheap and has a high sound absorption rating.

Are you sure you want to go with a liquid asphalt product like roofing tar? I’d hate for it to clog anything where water is designed to weep out, or smell like crazy on a hot day or something.

I was going to do sound deadening butyl sheets on the floor of my CX5 but it already has some kind of deadening epoxy on the floor. I’m going to opt for a closed cell foam layer with mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Doors, cargo hatch and spare tire area are all done and the last of the cabin noise is clearly from the floor.
Oooh. Good call on the drainage concerns! That could have been bad!

I have used similar stuff on an old vehicle to patch a small rust hole in the body's interior, and didnt have any major smells after the initial drying.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Done with the project: 4 doors, cargo wall and floor, lift gate and back seat floor. Not very impressive or not significant improved regarding noise although I did learn a lot on panel removal.

By the way, I found the small block on the front of spare tire well and removed it. Now my full size spare tire can sit well on the well. Cheers!

One note: when you remove the door panel and if the top plastic strip sticks with the panel, you can remove the strip and put back to the door. That way, it will be really easy to reinstall the door panel since the clips on the top of door panel can be pushed in, in the same direction as the other pins. Also a clip removal tool, like the photo, is very handy.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts