Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have details on how to remove the side panels in the cargo area? These are the side panels behind the rear seats. Trying to find a rattle and do some sound deadening while there

·
Registered
197 Posts

See #178. I just did.
1. Remove the rear seat bench
2. remove rear seat back
3. remove rear seat bracket
4. Lower Garnish
4. remove the rear seat front panel
5. remove the rear panel in cargo

Does anyone have details on how to remove the side panels in the cargo area? These are the side panels behind the rear seats. Trying to find a rattle and do some sound deadening while there

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you removed cargo panels on the right side, don't forget to open the extra storage arear (for gas model):

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was tempted by this thread to do a similar project, but in the end I chickened out and had it done in a shop instead. It took them a full day to do the doors and the trunk, but I am so happy with the result. The annoying rumble from all the naked metal sheets has been reduced to almost nothing, and the sound system sounds much better as well.

The guys in the shop took pictures along the way, and I thought I'd share them here for anyone curious about such a project: RAV4 sound deadening by carsound.dk
They were really thorough! I put a greater quantity of mat down inside the doors, but I never thought to add layers on the plastic panels as well.

That said, in the next few weekends I am going to get a bucket of roofing tar or rubber road patch and paint / goop it down into the bottom areas on all the doors where I couldn't get the Noico. Granted, at this point I can whisper to people in the back seats at 50mph, so I have made a lot of progress since stock. But, every little bit helps!

·
Registered
178 Posts
They were really thorough! I put a greater quantity of mat down inside the doors, but I never thought to add layers on the plastic panels as well.

That said, in the next few weekends I am going to get a bucket of roofing tar or rubber road patch and paint / goop it down into the bottom areas on all the doors where I couldn't get the Noico. Granted, at this point I can whisper to people in the back seats at 50mph, so I have made a lot of progress since stock. But, every little bit helps!
adding it to the rear of the plastic on my CX5 worked extremely well. I’m very happy with the denim insulation I added between the metal door and the plastic door panel too. Very cheap and has a high sound absorption rating.

Are you sure you want to go with a liquid asphalt product like roofing tar? I’d hate for it to clog anything where water is designed to weep out, or smell like crazy on a hot day or something.

I was going to do sound deadening butyl sheets on the floor of my CX5 but it already has some kind of deadening epoxy on the floor. I’m going to opt for a closed cell foam layer with mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Doors, cargo hatch and spare tire area are all done and the last of the cabin noise is clearly from the floor.

·
Registered
439 Posts
adding it to the rear of the plastic on my CX5 worked extremely well. I’m very happy with the denim insulation I added between the metal door and the plastic door panel too. Very cheap and has a high sound absorption rating.

Are you sure you want to go with a liquid asphalt product like roofing tar? I’d hate for it to clog anything where water is designed to weep out, or smell like crazy on a hot day or something.

I was going to do sound deadening butyl sheets on the floor of my CX5 but it already has some kind of deadening epoxy on the floor. I’m going to opt for a closed cell foam layer with mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Doors, cargo hatch and spare tire area are all done and the last of the cabin noise is clearly from the floor.
Oooh. Good call on the drainage concerns! That could have been bad!

I have used similar stuff on an old vehicle to patch a small rust hole in the body's interior, and didnt have any major smells after the initial drying.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Done with the project: 4 doors, cargo wall and floor, lift gate and back seat floor. Not very impressive or not significant improved regarding noise although I did learn a lot on panel removal.

By the way, I found the small block on the front of spare tire well and removed it. Now my full size spare tire can sit well on the well. Cheers!

One note: when you remove the door panel and if the top plastic strip sticks with the panel, you can remove the strip and put back to the door. That way, it will be really easy to reinstall the door panel since the clips on the top of door panel can be pushed in, in the same direction as the other pins. Also a clip removal tool, like the photo, is very handy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For the denim insulation what brand name product did you use and did it have an adhesive on one side? If not how did you keep it in place?

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the denim insulation what brand name product did you use and did it have an adhesive on one side? If not how did you keep it in place?
Ultra touch R6.7, comes in six packs for $36 at Home Depot. That’s plenty to do the entire car and then some. No adhesive backing. I used 3M Hi-strength 90 spray adhesive. Chemical smell dissipated after a day out in the sun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m finally undertaking this project on my ‘19 XLE Premium. I was happy with the results in my ‘13 CX-5 so it’s time to do the nice new crossover lol. I used nearly an entire box of Kilmat on the rear cargo space (rear wheel wheels and under the spare). I’ll move on to the doors as I have time, likely the rear hatch followed by the front and then the rear doors. Finishing touch (if the wife won’t kill me) will be MLV under the floor mats and cargo mat.

I don’t think she’ll mind. Even she admitted there was a notable difference in road noise in the CX-5. She looked on somewhat approvingly as I dismantled the trunk of the RAV4.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same here. I have a multitude of weird rattles from various places. One of them was coming from The wires above the roof liner going to the passenger ceiling lamp.
Getting all those panels off are detailed in this video and the towing wire harness install guide.

Here’s my progress as I haven’t bought any sound deadening materials. Not sure what to buy yet. You might see some foam but that’s just to aid in my efforts to isolate the locations of my rattles. Initially I thought wire harnesses were smacking against the plastic panels. That isn’t the case in my situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was on a tight budget so I can recommend you start with Kilmat. It’s the only stuff I could find that was 80 mil, butyl rubber, and no asphalt for less than $60 per 36 square feet. The sheets are really convenient. It cuts well with those cloth type cutting scissors. Easy to shape and press with a roller. No smell and extremely sticky. That stuff is going no where after pressed in place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was on a tight budget so I can recommend you start with Kilmat. It’s the only stuff I could find that was 80 mil, butyl rubber, and no asphalt for less than $60 per 36 square feet. The sheets are really convenient. It cuts well with those cloth type cutting scissors. Easy to shape and press with a roller. No smell and extremely sticky. That stuff is going no where after pressed in place.
Yeah, I was thinking Kilmat also but the black Noico for where I’d see it in the wheel well because I’m like that. Any recommendations for a cushioned later to put on the back side of plastic paneling?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking Kilmat also but the black Noico for where I’d see it in the wheel well because I’m like that. Any recommendations for a cushioned later to put on the back side of plastic paneling?
Im liking denim insulation. Need to put it in just the right spots though or there isn’t enough room between the panel and the metal door itself. It’s about $35 at Home Depot for 6 rolls and that should be enough for all of the doors and the rear hatch: UltraTouch R-6.7 Denim Insulation Roll 16 in. x 48 in. (6-Pack)-60306-16482 - The Home Depot

from what I’ve been reading, closed cell foam alone won’t be worth adding unless you do a layer of mass loaded vinyl on top of it. The foam acts as a decoupling later and not a sound absorbing material.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You guys are going to love this ghetto fabulous idea. I couldn’t stomach the cost of MLV. I just want some to throw under the floor mats and the rear cargo mat.

I found that peel and stick vinyl tiles are super heavy and cheap. A 30 square foot box of 12x12 tiles weighs in 26 pounds. That’s just shy of one foot per pound MLV. I found a 45 square foot box for $18. I’m going to be rocking Chauncey vinyl tiles under my mats XD

·
Registered
178 Posts

I doubled them up by adhering the sticky sides to each other and cut it to the shape of the rear cargo mat. I’ll do the other floor mats after my hand stops cramping from the scissors.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quick update. Glad I gave the mat idea a shot with cheap tiles. Not worth the effort. I don’t believe it covers enough area in the foot wells to be effective and is a little too ridgid. Some closed cell foam to decouple the tiles from the floor carpet and the rubber floor mats might help but it’s a no go for me. It may have made a difference in the rear cargo area but I think you’d have to be sitting in the rear seats to hear a difference. The trunk was already really quiet after applying Kilmat back there.

I don’t believe MLV would work any better under mats alone. Needs to be all over the bottom of the car with a decoupling later, seats out and everything, overlapping MLV, etc. too much work with not enough payoff lol!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quick update. Glad I gave the mat idea a shot with cheap tiles. Not worth the effort. I don’t believe it covers enough area in the foot wells to be effective and is a little too ridgid. Some closed cell foam to decouple the tiles from the floor carpet and the rubber floor mats might help but it’s a no go for me. It may have made a difference in the rear cargo area but I think you’d have to be sitting in the rear seats to hear a difference. The trunk was already really quiet after applying Kilmat back there.

I don’t believe MLV would work any better under mats alone. Needs to be all over the bottom of the car with a decoupling later, seats out and everything, overlapping MLV, etc. too much work with not enough payoff lol!
Besides putting Nocio all around the spare tire area I also laid a quilted moving blanket across the top of the spare tire. Besides helping to adsorb more sound it's always there if I need it for moving something or use it as a picnic blanket. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could always apply Noico on the windows???!!!
You laugh but it made me think about what you could do to reduce the sound coming though the windows. Since Toyota didn't bless the Rav4 with noise reduction glass, which is two layers of glass with plastic in the center, I thought the next best thing would be to tint the windows.

My Rav4 came with dealer tinted windows in the back, and after getting my wife to ride me around while I sat in the back seat, it does seem to make a good difference. I've contacted a local tint shop and expressed my idea to him and he said that they do this all the time to reduce outside noise. They even have a thicker film that helps more. He claimed I could expect a 40% noticeable difference. After riding around in the back side I believe him. I'm going for it. I mean all the other windows in the back are done so I only have two left.

So far I've put Nocio in all the doors, underneath the back seat, the rear wheel wells, the rear quarter panels, and the rear spare tire area (I threw a quilted moving blanket over the spare tire for good measure) . The only thing left is the rear lift gate. I've also installed the OEM engine hood insulation. I'm also going to go back in put some denim insulation in the doors (that seems pretty simple and cheap to do). The back passenger floor area seems to be good. It has the OEM sound deadening material, a molded felt layer, carpet, and I got the dealer to throw in the rubber floors mats when I bought the vehicle. For now I'm going to keep going as long as it seems to make a difference.

All my neighbor probably think I'm crazy. I mean who buys a new vehicle, then starts taking out all of the interior, to spend countless hours cutting up sheets of shinny material into puzzle pieces to stick all over the inside of their new car? lol

181 - 200 of 226 Posts