Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone removed the seats and carpet to do the floors yet? Im trying to find a how to. Thats all I have on my left to do!
I don’t believe so. Good luck to you sir, way too much trouble for me. I feel like the car needs acoustic glass for it to be worth it. Adding material to the floor seems like diminishing returns to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone removed the seats and carpet to do the floors yet? Im trying to find a how to. Thats all I have on my left to do!
I put Noico underneath the back passenger seat. There didn't seem to be a need for felt. The rear seat is one big piece of closed cell foam. I didn't put anything over the two big black circular disks in the floor. It's pretty easy to remove the seat.

I looked under the carpet when I had the seat out. It looks like Toyota but a fair amount of their sound deadening material on the floor, then felt, then carpet. I also have rubber mats as well. I don't think there's much gain for improvement there. I'm guessing the front floors are the same. Someday when I get a chance I'll look there.

I only have the rear lift door to do. I need R7.0 but I'm not going to Home Depot right now. lol

Here's how to remove the rear interior of the Rav4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone measured what the db difference is when installing insulation in the doors? With an iphone app I'm measuring around 65db while going 70 on the freeway. Just wondering the difference I can expect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone measured what the db difference is when installing insulation in the doors? With an iphone app I'm measuring around 65db while going 70 on the freeway. Just wondering the difference I can expect.
If you read through the earlier posts here you will see what others have gotten for their measurents. For me with just the Noico sound deadening material it was 2-3db less. Depending on where I measured. While that might not sound (joke) like a lot that's a 14% to 21% difference in noticeable sound.

Since then I've also added felt sound absorption insulation in the doors. I haven't measure that difference yet. But it made another big difference in my limited test drive. Easily another 3-4db. I haven't done any measurement yet while driving on the freeway.

For my 2019 Rav4 Adventure I added the 2020 Rav4 engine hood insulation. That made a big difference as well. Another 2- 3db difference.

I still have the back cargo door and then I'll be done. Now that I've done everywhere else it's amazing that I can hear noise coming from it now.

All and all I'm very pleased with the results. The sound noise is easily 50% less of what it was orginally. The Rav4 now rides and sound as good a luxury SUV. If Toyota did this I'm sure they would sell more Rav4s. But then again they want people to buy their luxury Lexis SUVs. lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you read through the earlier posts here you will see what others have gotten for their measurents. For me with just the Noico sound deadening material it was 2-3db less. Depending on where I measured. While that might not sound (joke) like a lot that's a 14% to 21% difference in noticeable sound.

Since then I've also added felt sound absorption insulation in the doors. I haven't measure that difference yet. But it made another big difference in my limited test drive. Easily another 3-4db. I haven't done any measurement yet while driving on the freeway.

For my 2019 Rav4 Adventure I added the 2020 Rav4 engine hood insulation. That made a big difference as well. Another 2- 3db difference.

I still have the back cargo door and then I'll be done. Now that I've done everywhere else it's amazing that I can hear noise coming from it now.

All and all I'm very pleased with the results. The sound noise is easily 50% less of what it was orginally. The Rav4 now rides and sound as good a luxury SUV. If Toyota did this I'm sure they would sell more Rav4s. But then again they want people to buy their luxury Lexis SUVs. lol
Cool, thanks!

Do you have any pics of the felt sounds absorption insulation? Where did you get it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those that added sounded deadening to the rear area under the spare did you add it over the existing rubber stuff already there? I'm not sure what to call it but it looks like Toyota's version of sound deadening. It's in strips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
For those that added sounded deadening to the rear area under the spare did you add it over the existing rubber stuff already there? I'm not sure what to call it but it looks like Toyota's version of sound deadening. It's in strips.

Thanks!
I did. The existing material is rock hard so it’s not going anywhere. I rolled the kil mat right over it. Made it much easier to install and you’ll get better results vs trying to work around it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is it possible to insulate the firewall from the outside? Which will cover all of wires and pipes.
I wouldn’t. Closest you can get in my opinion is applying a high heat rated butyl rubber product like Damplifier Pro to the firewall. Only other option that would be safe imo is to remove the dash and insulate from the inside.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just finished adding the felt to all my side doors. When I took the vehicle for a test drive I could instantly tell the felt made a big difference, even at low speeds. I was surprised with the overall noise difference in the entire vehicle. The majority of the road noise seems to be gone now.

The Noico I put in the doors before made a big difference and adding the felt feels like it made more of a difference than the Noico. I'm sure the combination of the two complement each other in different ways.

If you want to do something that is relatively simple and very inexpensive to help with the Rav4's road noise I would strong recommend doing the felt. I also went with Ruthrj's suggestion on using Frost King R4.0 insulation. The door panels went on very easily with that thickness.

The only things left to do is putting Noico and felt in the back cargo door, putting some window tint on the front doors to help with sound deadening, and at some point replace the noisy Toyo tries that came on the vehicle.

I am curious, did you put some noise matting material on the metal of the front doors or did you just do the felt/jean material in the doors? Nevermind, just saw you already did the noico.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone considered adding sound deadening under the front seat carpet near the firewall? I added sound deadening + denim to all four doors, hatch, and spare tire area.

I've noticed most of the remaining road noise is coming from the front wheels. Just curious if it's even possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I would have never thought of the insulation jean material. I do recall now though seeing something like that in the rear of my cx9 when I did that trailer wiring.

The only tricky part of the rear door was that part at the end that lifts up and not out. Got lucky that I did not break that off.

I got the rear cargo done with dynamat and the insulation from frost king. Did my first rear door and now waiting on more insulation to finish the other three doors. I will do the hatch at some point.

I was surprised that just doing the wheel arches in the rear and then floor back there how much that changed the car. Maybe it’s my imagination but cruising down the freeway at 70 it seemed more quiet from the rear. Hoping I like the results from the doors as much!
BD0C3974-51D5-489C-BD65-C9D84742070F.jpeg 382E22D4-1264-4A83-8266-698FEDDC1F9F.jpeg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I would have never thought of the insulation jean material. I do recall now though seeing something like that in the rear of my cx9 when I did that trailer wiring.

The only tricky part of the rear door was that part at the end that lifts up and not out. Got lucky that I did not break that off.

I got the rear cargo done with dynamat and the insulation from frost king. Did my first rear door and now waiting on more insulation to finish the other three doors. I will do the hatch at some point.

I was surprised that just doing the wheel arches in the rear and then floor back there how much that changed the car. Maybe it’s my imagination but cruising down the freeway at 70 it seemed more quiet from the rear. Hoping I like the results from the doors as much!
View attachment 151842 View attachment 151843
Your impression with insulating just the rear cargo area and hatch were spot on with mine. The majority of the road noise was gone with just those spots especially at highway speeds.

The doors are definitely worth it, and after that is diminishing returns imo. The improvement wasn’t as major as the cargo area but I was happy with the result.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I worked on the rear doors, I noticed there is a gap at the lower right corner (picture shows the driver side door). Is that normal?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your impression with insulating just the rear cargo area and hatch were spot on with mine. The majority of the road noise was gone with just those spots especially at highway speeds.

The doors are definitely worth it, and after that is diminishing returns imo. The improvement wasn’t as major as the cargo area but I was happy with the result.
Any tips or suggestions for a guide to remove the covers on the rear hatch?

221 - 240 of 268 Posts