Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone put anything above the headliner? I switched from a Thule rack to Prinsu to decrease wind noise, and the Prinsu is definitely a quieter rack, but I still hear it. To install it, you have to sag the headliner, and there definitely isn't anything up there between the metal and the headliner itself. I think some of the deadening material up above the headliner could certainly make a difference for anyone who has an aftermarket roof rack or has their crossbars installed.

Here is a link to the install guide if anyone wants to give it a shot. I probably will someday.

Prinsu Install Guide

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone put anything above the headliner? I switched from a Thule rack to Prinsu to decrease wind noise, and the Prinsu is definitely a quieter rack, but I still hear it. To install it, you have to sag the headliner, and there definitely isn't anything up there between the metal and the headliner itself. I think some of the deadening material up above the headliner could certainly make a difference for anyone who has an aftermarket roof rack or has their crossbars installed.

Here is a link to the install guide if anyone wants to give it a shot. I probably will someday.

Prinsu Install Guide
Check out ravrduckee on IG. He installed the Prinsu rack and applied Noico 80 and 170. I reached out to him and his Initial impressions indicate noticeable heat reduction but not a whole lot of noise damping. I’m more interested in the heat reduction application but am a bit disappointed in the noise damping results. Perhaps a double layer of Noico 80 might yield better results noise-wise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone had any success with Mass Loaded Vinyl(MLV) in the doors? Something like this Luxury Liner Pro™ Sheet - MLV + Foam

From my research most people suggest the damping stuff like NOICO 80 then MLV to really reduce road noise
The proper way of going about these projects is to use Noico 80 mil and then apply Noico Red 150/green 170 mil (or any other brand of sound deadening foam) on top. Most will be satisfied with the Noico 80 alone and the cost of the project (money and time ) doubles with the second layer. So yes, if it’s in your budget, do apply a second layer of foam material such as the one you identified.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think I’d consider luxury liner pro if the glass were acoustic. Doesn’t matter how much you add to the doors: the floor and windows will be your leading noise contributors after doing just a dampener on the door panels.

·
Registered
'19 XLE
11 Posts
For anyone combing through this thread and looking to quantify results from sound deadening:

I went back and thoroughly applied the Noico material in the cargo area, underneath the back seat, and in all four doors. The attached pictures are the final result. Additionally, in the cargo area I used some Boom Mat sound deadening spray which is the black finish you see in the cargo area. I don't recommend the spray as the can seemed to evaporate and it didn't make much difference other than aesthetics.

My updated decibel readings:
I used the same free sound app on my iPhone (Decibel X) to take the following recordings...
0 MPH with engine warmed up: 50.6 decreasing to 44.7
30 MPH: 64.1 decreasing to 59.5
60 MPH: 68.2 decreasing to 66.5

I notice the biggest difference at lower speeds. The car is still louder than I'd like on the highway but much better than it was at point of sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the floor would benefit from some sound deadening. In this video
they've removed the carpet from the previous generation rav4. If anyone has any experience with removing that carpet I'd love to hear how to do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the floor would benefit from some sound deadening. In this video
they've removed the carpet from the previous generation rav4. If anyone has any experience with removing that carpet I'd love to hear how to do it.
You would need to remove all body panels including the center console, as well as the seats and rails. Then you can unclip and lift the carpet exposing the metal floor. What stops most people is the taking out of the front seats. Once the seats are out, you could lay the deadening material pretty high up the firewall too. But it’s a whole lot of work.

261 - 268 of 268 Posts