Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
133 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
133 Posts
Systems Unlimited in Bellevue. Their webpage is pretty old, they mostly use their Facebook page. I am having sound damping, audio, radar/laser and some other work (they installed the TRD Performance Dampers), so it is hard to say how much for just the sound, but they are a high end shop, so not cheap. :)

The rear performance damper
View attachment 171298
I’m interested to hear what you think of the effect of the performance damper. It’s interesting technology and I’ve not seen anyone install one (two) yet.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime SE
50 Posts
I picked up a 2021 Prime XSE in July. At first I just wanted to dampen the vehicle, but have decided to redo the entire audio system (keeping head unit) and some other stuff. I may start a new thread for the project, but thought I would share a few pics of the stripped interior. In addition to the interior dampening, I also purchased the TRD Performance Dampers from Japan. They are for the Hybrid, so hopefully the same mounting points work or some new brackets will need to be fabricated. Finger's crossed!

View attachment 171082

View attachment 171083

View attachment 171084
Great post! I am interested in the Yamaha Performance Dampers, do you think it'll fit a RAV4 Prime? Also, was it a direct bolt on without any modifications?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
38 Posts
Great post! I am interested in the Yamaha Performance Dampers, do you think it'll fit a RAV4 Prime? Also, was it a direct bolt on without any modifications?

Thanks!
I installed them on a Prime. :) The hybrid version fit's perfectly with the stock brackets the kit came with. I also used Google translate to convert the PDF install guide into English. One part I missed was changing the torque values to what we use here, but the person that installed them did that. The shipping from Japan via FedEx was not cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I installed them on a Prime. :) The hybrid version fit's perfectly with the stock brackets the kit came with. I also used Google translate to convert the PDF install guide into English. One part I missed was changing the torque values to what we use here, but the person that installed them did that. The shipping from Japan via FedEx was not cheap.
Nice ! Do you have the PN and/or link for purchase. Thanks I'm looking forward to getting it

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
38 Posts
Nice ! Do you have the PN and/or link for purchase. Thanks I'm looking forward to getting it
I ordered from BlackHawkJapan. Here is the link to the Hybrid version. I spent an entire weekend looking for a place in Japan that would ship to the US. I think it took 5-7 days from Japan to WA. DHL does not ship the dampers, so had to select the FedEx option, which was brutal. Here is my hand edited PDF of the install manual. Again, you will need to convert the torque numbers. My installer also used blue Loctite to make sure they don't come loose.

I really want these TRD rims, but 20" is too big. I did end up getting the TRD luggage mat since it has the red trim like the rest of the interior and sunshade.

Too many temping things to order from them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered from BlackHawkJapan. Here is the link to the Hybrid version. I spent an entire weekend looking for a place in Japan that would ship to the US. I think it took 5-7 days from Japan to WA. DHL does not ship the dampers, so had to select the FedEx option, which was brutal. Here is my hand edited PDF of the install manual. Again, you will need to convert the torque numbers. My installer also used blue Loctite to make sure they don't come loose.

I really want these TRD rims, but 20" is too big. I did end up getting the TRD luggage mat since it has the red trim like the rest of the interior and sunshade.

Too many temping things to order from them.
Sweet thanks, appreciate the write up. I'm definitely going to order. I'll figure out how to install once I get it. Looks like this and the Cusco strut bar will be a nice addition

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
38 Posts
Sweet thanks, appreciate the write up. I'm definitely going to order. I'll figure out how to install once I get it. Looks like this and the Cusco strut bar will be a nice addition
I am actually having the Cusco installed too. The Prime has a bracket in the way, on the passenger side, so they have to notch it (the bracket, not the Cusco) to make it fit. Also trying to install the TRD Door Stabilizers. The front should fit, but the rear may be tight.

·
Registered
2020 XSE with Tech Package
51 Posts
Finished my sound deadening project. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread; I got a lot of good ideas from it.

My plan was to do three layers:
First layer would be 80 mil Killmat on the inside and outside skins
Second layer would be Luxury Liner Pro from Second Skin Audio. I’d seen someone else post on the forum about trying to use it and thought I would too. For those not familiar with the product, it’s MLV attached to a layer of foam.
The last layer would be denim insulation

I started with one of the rear doors. Taking the door trim off was straight forward. Taking the blue moisture barrier off was also pretty easy. I started on a corner and carefully pulled using a utility knife to cut the black stuff as needed. I didn’t fully remove it, just enough to get in to the cavity. I bought some Windo-weld to replace any of the black stuff I needed to but ended up not using it.

Once I had all the Killmat on I added some Velcro strips to hold the Luxury Liner on and cut it to fit the door.

Lastly, put the denim on the inside of the door.

Then it was time to but it all back together. THIS DID NOT WORK FOR ME. The combination of all 3 layers was way too thick to be able to get the door card back on. The Luxury liner is about a 1/4” thick and doesn’t compress like the insulation. I tried a couple of times but it just wasn’t going to go.

Once I took the Luxury Liner off I didn’t have any problems getting everything back together.

New Plan: Killmat + denim on the doors and sides of the trunk.
Killmat + Luxury Liner Pro on the floor of the rest of the doors went along without any issues and I replaced the switches to lit ones as I went along.

Time to start the trunk. I found taking all the trim pieces off, not difficult but a huge pain in the ass. I started on the drivers side and put Killmat wherever I could.

From there I started laying the Luxury Liner on the floor. This went pretty well but at this point I still wasn’t sure whether the panels would go back over it. Once I had everything done I put that side of the car back together and thankfully everything went back. Then it was just a matter of getting the passenger side done.

Overall, really happy with the results. Working in the evenings it took me about 2 hours per door and 7 hours for the trunk area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE (old) 2021 Venza LE (new)
151 Posts
Has anyone tried 3M Thinsulate on the door panels instead of denim? Should be a lot more resistant to moisture. I'll probably still do denim in the cargo area.
The denim is not subject to moisture if it is not placed inside the door cavity. Putting the denim on the interior side of the door panel cover as others have done is good.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE (old) 2021 Venza LE (new)
151 Posts
Finished my sound deadening project. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread; I got a lot of good ideas from it.

My plan was to do three layers:
First layer would be 80 mil Killmat on the inside and outside skins
Second layer would be Luxury Liner Pro from Second Skin Audio. I’d seen someone else post on the forum about trying to use it and thought I would too. For those not familiar with the product, it’s MLV attached to a layer of foam.
The last layer would be denim insulation

I started with one of the rear doors. Taking the door trim off was straight forward. Taking the blue moisture barrier off was also pretty easy. I started on a corner and carefully pulled using a utility knife to cut the black stuff as needed. I didn’t fully remove it, just enough to get in to the cavity. I bought some Windo-weld to replace any of the black stuff I needed to but ended up not using it.

Once I had all the Killmat on I added some Velcro strips to hold the Luxury Liner on and cut it to fit the door.

Lastly, put the denim on the inside of the door.

Then it was time to but it all back together. THIS DID NOT WORK FOR ME. The combination of all 3 layers was way too thick to be able to get the door card back on. The Luxury liner is about a 1/4” thick and doesn’t compress like the insulation. I tried a couple of times but it just wasn’t going to go.

Once I took the Luxury Liner off I didn’t have any problems getting everything back together.

New Plan: Killmat + denim on the doors and sides of the trunk.
Killmat + Luxury Liner Pro on the floor of the rest of the doors went along without any issues and I replaced the switches to lit ones as I went along.

Time to start the trunk. I found taking all the trim pieces off, not difficult but a huge pain in the ass. I started on the drivers side and put Killmat wherever I could.

From there I started laying the Luxury Liner on the floor. This went pretty well but at this point I still wasn’t sure whether the panels would go back over it. Once I had everything done I put that side of the car back together and thankfully everything went back. Then it was just a matter of getting the passenger side done.

Overall, really happy with the results. Working in the evenings it took me about 2 hours per door and 7 hours for the trunk area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice pictures, JimmyTheGrey. The Luxury liner (mass vinyl) type product is not ideal for doors (as you indicate with fitment) but is best used in horizontal cavity spaces that are closest to the road surface. This includes spare tire well, corner cavities of the trunk (like underneath your car battery), and below the front & rear driver/passenger foot areas.
Given the expensive prices, I would not recommend using it underneath the rear seats, in other areas of the trunk that are at a higher elevation, or across any vertical surface.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts