Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all heard that the ebay chips are a bunch of bull. I'm still thinking there are plenty more people who have followed what others have to say than who have actually tried it. Assuming this ebay garbage is of a different caliber than the famous Jet Chip, who's here to defend or argue against the "proven" Jet Chip?

We can deny the dynos and say they are rigged.
We can say those customer testimonials are all made up by employees.

But what about these 3rd party reviews featured in magazines? Surely anything fake would ruin the reputation of the magazines themselves. These are pretty darn convincing: http://www.jetchip.com/magazinefeatures.asp

I've read other car forums reviewing the thing and some swear by it and some feel it's a bunch of bull. It doesn't take much to repeat what we've heard from these forums, but.....

HAS ANYONE PERSONALLY TRIED THIS WITH ANOTHER CAR OR HAD FRIENDS THAT HAVE USED IT BEFORE? We've had enough hearsay and theories, but who's actually experienced this product?...or knows someone who has?

P

·
0 Posts
Jet Chips

From what I've read, its just a 10 cent 4.7K ohm resistor that fakes the sensor into thinking its a constant 34° out, and the computer adjusts the mixture richer to compensate for the lower temperature. Sounds good in theory. Someone on ebay is getting rich on this one.

My car always runs better in colder weather, but that could also be the denser cold air coming into the engine as well. I'd be concerned about the long term affects of running richer all the time. That has to affect your mileage in a negative way. You could buy a 4.7K resistor at Radio Shack and give it a try.

Since it's only 12° out today, so I think 'll bypass that mod and just go for a drive in the cold.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe that running too rich or too lean for extended periods of time will burn up your catalytic converter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this isn't the ebay product. this is the actual JET chip. Interesting how reviews for this thing say either it's horrible and completely bad, or perfect and couldn't be better. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Are we witnessing in reviews in forums of jetchip representatives posing as experienced buyers talking to actual buyers? hmmm...

AT the SF Auto Show recently, I talked to a car guy who's definitely experienced with this sort of thing. He didn't comment on the jet chip, but when asked who modifications i can make to help low end torque, he admited he installed a chip into his Audi. I believe this was the Neuspeed P1 chip. He said it was like driving a new car!

Reviews for the neuspeed chip are great,...but they don't make it for toyota's! in fact, no one does. even Jet specializes in american cars.

T

·
0 Posts
well personally I don't do anything to my engine anymore... cuz if you want the car to last, keep it stock, because everything is designed that way. if any think some guy out of his garage or better a company can develop something as cheap as a "chip" that gives the car better performance while still prividing safe, good for your engine mod, wouldn't Toyota themself implement the chip? if there's a 10HP gain or something with the claim "no damage" to engine... wouldn't toyota put that on their brosure to make the car look much better?

again back to the chip... sure it's only a cheap resister, but it will help your engine run a little faster... only if you are willing to sacrafize your engine when it's 110 degrees outside and your car computer still thinks it's only 30 degrees or something.....

again... I was tought by an ex GM manufacture head technician... anything you do to the engine bay that's not factory will effect the engine somehow... people just think there's no damage because they don't see it.

T

·
0 Posts
oh ya last bit of advise, if you want a fast car buy a fast car that's designed to run fast... don't risk your life (or ur life) just to add 10-20 horsepower. on the other hand... add as many "visual" mods to your car as you like as they don't effect the way your car run.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after driving the new 4.2's, i can tell you the 12 more horsepower make a huge difference! 20 would be awesome. A supercharger would pull another 40. 10 hp really ain't bad for a mod that's less than 1/4 the price of a supercharger.

P

·
0 Posts
Power

I find the power in the 2005 RAV4 just right. It's a lot faster than my 99 4Runner, especially on steep hills. About the only 'performance' upgrade I do anymore is add a K&N Air Filter, because the paper ones after a few thousand miles do tend to clog up.

I had an 82 RX7 with dual side draft Webber carbs, headers and a custom exhaust. All that got me was a very loud car that would never pass a pollution inspection, and would never start in the cold Canadian winters, unless you plugged it in. Sure it was 20% faster, but replacing it with an 87 RX7 Turbo would blow it away stock.

If you want a fast RAV4, look at the 2006 with the V6, 269 HP. That's a lot!

·
Registered
225 Posts
some people seem to be confusing the Jet Chip with the cheap resistors that's flooding Ebay.
but anyway zoomie, i think judging from the responses here, going back to your original question, nobody seem to have had any experience with the Jet Chip. :(

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Re: Power

parkwaycruiser said:
If you want a fast RAV4, look at the 2006 with the V6, 269 HP. That's a lot!
Good advice!

I really agree with the thinking that if you want a fast car, then buy a fast car. It is far more cost effective to buy speed outright than to try to spend money on speed parts that may or may not perform well together. Experience is a dear teacher, I've been there and done that plenty of times (but unfortunately haven't learned very well). :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts