• Premium

• Others

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked up the manuals and didn't find anything about what type of gasoline is recommended for my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. My old ford has a clear indication of using 87 for the recommendation.

Can you guys share with me the type you are using for your car? Regular, Midgrade, or Premium?

·
Registered
472 Posts
And then there's some Western states where regular is 85 octane instead of 87. I've always just used it out of ignorance, and it's supposed to be fine to run lower octane at higher altitudes. But technically I should be using mid grade if you ask Toyota.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should always use the lowest cost fuel which is usually the lowest octane fuel. 85 is fine in higher altitude areas and won't harm your car if you "start high and drive to low elevation". Octane is a behavior of the fuel, not an ingredient. Octane is important in high compression engines, and then, only at high engine load. At "wide open" throttle for example. A) Hybrids do not have high compression engines B) Hybrids do not run at high engine load because the battery and electric motor chips in to reduce engine load.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 2.5L engine in the current RAV4 has a compression ratio of 14:1. That would be insanely high in “normal” gas cars. It would have to be severely detuned to run on 87 octane without knocking. Atkinson Cycle.

Anecdotally I’ve heard many Priuses knocking badly.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
A little too technical for me. I just try to remember...suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Everything else is over my head.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts