Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The V6 ain’t so hot

Now that I have the V6 owners angry and the I-4 crowd singing my praises let’s analyze:

I went down and tested a 2wd V6 Friday. I found the automatic always wanted to downshift to really access the V6’s power. I assume the motor is programmed to hit its stride at high rpm’s and yes, it will zoom once you floor it.

So, the motor is a V6 and behaves like one. That’s nothing new. I think all the buzz and excitement is just that the RAV4 finally has a motor for those who have that kind of driving habit.

So, the V6 in the RAV4 is a pocket rocket. But, you still have to ask it to rev up...it’s only a V6.

V8's seem lazy and calm in daily "effective" acceleration. On the rare occasion when you have to ask a V8 to rev up…there ain’t no comparison.

Be humble V6’s and be comforted I-4’s … we all have to drive the same speed and it doesn’t matter how fast you accelerate to the inevitable stop light ahead!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah so what you are really saying is your are jealous and wish you had a V6 :lol:

Thats some textbook cognitive dissonance.

The 3.5L in the RAV4 road performance numbers are pretty similiar to those of the V8 Dodge Magnum Hemi Wagon. BTW some V6s can give you max torque from much lower RPMs and stomp most V8s.

VW VR6 3.6L (nice flat torque curve right there!)
280HP @ 6,200RPM
265ftlbs @ 2,750RPM

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha, so you saw right through me :wink:

Yes, my plans will be to have an 4.2 and a V6 4.3 in the driveway withing a year or two. It depends on how long I like getting 30/38 in the Corolla. The 4.3 was a nice ride...better than the car and an improvement on our 4.2 :p

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of mine had and recently sold a Buick Regal GNX. That thing could walk all over my V8.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea. He had the car for almost 15 years, eventually having 4 kids forced him to do the unthinkable and move to a MiniVan.

We used to race Friday nights, (legally), at a speedway called Cayuga near Hamilton Ontario. I'd have to time my launches and watch my shifts to keep traction under control to pull mid 13's. He'd just sit back, stomp on it and cruise into the 12's all night long!

That engine had to be one of the best and most underrated V6's ever built.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a look at your website, nice. So I'm not the only Muscle Car fan on this forum!

Do you still have your GN?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Davey68 said:
Took a look at your website, nice. So I'm not the only Muscle Car fan on this forum!

Do you still have your GN?
Who DOESN'T "want" a muscle car?

Hey if I could afford it I'd have a Ferrari as my "other" car.... :D

Unfortunately, some of us have to wake up and get back to earth, and consider stuff like.... fuel economy, versatillity...zzzzzzzzz

Maybe when I win the lotto.... whoops, forgot, no lotto in Wyoming... :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course I’m not the only one who takes a subject slightly off topic once it’s begun.

But, you can’t compare the supercharged V6’s that were in things like the Buick Regal or Mercury Cougar to an everyday passenger V6 that’s in the RAV4, Avalon, next Sienna, and ’07 Camry.

These mundane V6’s do what they are called upon to do: accelerate smoothly, keep up with traffic with less effort, and in the RA4’s case...scoot a little quicker because it is not as heavy as the other Toyota vehicles.

And yes (mensajero), you can ABUSE the RAV4 V6 to "make it hot"

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think the Supra's V6 can be called the same motor:

<<< Our sources suggest Toyota is looking at two distinct versions for production. One will use a 3.5-liter development of the new V6 (introduced in the 2006 Lexus GS 300), making 300 horsepower. The second, higher-intensity model could use the company's 4.3-liter V8, tweaked to give about 350 hp. >>>

I hear the "stock" Camry will be racing in NASCAR next year :wink:

The RAV4's V6, though technically marvelous, is just what we've come to expect in the everyday vehicle. Toyota is using it to power the majority of it's mundane grocery getters.

Some may remember Chrysler/Dodge took that 2.2 liter K-car sedan's motor, threw a turbo charger on it, and mounted it in nearly every vehicle they made. I admit, I'd take the Toyota 3.5 V6 any day. I'm just saying it's what we've come to expect in a "peoples car" and not to proclaim the RAV4's V6 as second coming.

Though, I would rather have the six, this post is really for the 4 cylinder buyers to let them know (from my test drive) that their I-4 is just right for most peoples' needs.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The learning curve is over for Toyota's new generation of V6. Honda, Nissan and BMW use to make the best V6 on the market. Toyota's new V6 is one of the best on the market now and it is also the most reliable. It has always been Toyota's philosophy not to push new technology into the market too quick, learn from someone else's mistakes and use proven technology only in their production cars.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The G Man said:
The learning curve is over for Toyota's new generation of V6. Honda, Nissan and BMW use to make the best V6 on the market. Toyota's new V6 is one of the best on the market now and it is also the most reliable. It has always been Toyota's philosophy not to push new technology into the market too quick, learn from someone else's mistakes and use proven technology only in their production cars.
Nissan's VQ V6 has been on Ward's Auto best list for over a decade. Toyota is catching up to everyone else. They now have a modern reliable V6, but its not the best/class leader.

Here are those who lead the way in normally aspired V6's. Nissan is rumored to be making a VQ with 3.7L which will have 330 HP to start :shock:

Nissan VQ35 V6 240-301HP Pathfinder 2000 (Winning VQ series started with Nissan Maxima 1995)
Honda J35 210-290HP Odyssey 1998
GM LY7 3.6L 235-255HP Cadillac CTS 2004
VW VR6 3.6 280HP VW Passat 2005

·
Registered
656 Posts
Caution: if your leaning towards the 4cyl don't test drive the 6. Although I agree that the 4cyl would have probably been good enough for our needs, after test driving both we went with the 6cyl. The RAV4 with the 4 is just another SUV, with the 6 its an SUV on steroids.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't worry, nobody with a steroid addiction is going to buy the 4-cylinder.

Anyway, it is good advice to test drive both (as I have done). Those people will be able to gauge if stretching their budget is worth the extra $2,000 just so they can be a speed demon once in a while. A big portion of the RAV4 demographic will not use it that way. I wouldn't mind pulling a pop-up camper and heading to the hills for the weekend once in a while.

For commuters, sitting in traffic, and during snow, the 4 is a great motor. And, it is reliable. That's another reason people look to Toyota.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
syadasti said:
The G Man said:
Nissan's VQ V6 has been on Ward's Auto best list for over a decade. Toyota is catching up to everyone else. They now have a modern reliable V6, but its not the best/class leader.

Here are those who lead the way in normally aspired V6's. Nissan is rumored to be making a VQ with 3.7L which will have 330 HP to start :shock:

Nissan VQ35 V6 240-301HP Pathfinder 2000 (Winning VQ series started with Nissan Maxima 1995)
Honda J35 210-290HP Odyssey 1998
GM LY7 3.6L 235-255HP Cadillac CTS 2004
VW VR6 3.6 280HP VW Passat 2005
I think that if we only measure horsepower, then Toyota's V6 would not be one of the best. My opinion of a nice engine is more than just power output. If you take into consideration of reliability and life span of the engine, then Toyota's V6 is one of the best on the market. The same with the V8. Nissan and Honda do make some powerful engines but the rest of the car is sub-par when compare to Toyota. VW is so bad that I don't need to say anything at all.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts