Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on Canadian news that thieves are using a booster to read the fob code from a distance to be able to start the car and steal it. Apparently they use the booster when your car is on the driveway at your home to read your fob that is in your house, start the engine and then drive away. Yikes! Is there some way to prevent this? Does Toyota know and is there a fix? Apparently, they also can use a obd reader and hack the computer to allow it to be started as well. If only some of these people used their smarts in a legal productive way.
Sorry if this has been discussed here before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, lots of info on how they do it, thanks. You mentioned putting the fob into sleep mode, is that in the manual or is there somewhere else the info on how to do it is available?

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
It's in the manual, press and hold the lock button, press the unlock button twice, the LED will blink 4 times, the fob is now deactivated, press a button to wake it up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
For this to work - make sure you disable both fobs.
Yes, I just tried this and the spare FOB I keep in the house about 75' from the car still unlocked the car. These FOBs have incredible range. I just disabled my spare FOB, I assume this will also save the battery in the spare? Now I need to get in the habit of disabling the main FOB I use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have the Canadian Rav4 HV manual the info is on page 138. On p 140 (CDN) it says to contact your dealer to deactivate the smart key system if you are going to be away for an extended period of time. Anyone know what the dealer does in this situation?

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
If you have the Canadian Rav4 HV manual the info is on page 138. On p 140 (CDN) it says to contact your dealer to deactivate the smart key system if you are going to be away for an extended period of time. Anyone know what the dealer does in this situation?
They'll disable the Smartkey system with Techstream, setting is either on or off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts