Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have seen my last post:

"Here is a new one for you....... GEAR SHIFTER RATTLE !!"

In addition to "ALL THAT", yesterday my Check Engine light came on again and I also noticed that the thermostat needle was way lower as if the car is not warming up.

Took it back again today. They say I need a new thermostat. ($250) I am glad I am taking care of this before my 15 hour cross country trip in a few days.

53k miles. 2001 truck. Babied since 2001. I had no repairs for the first 3 years but then suddenly I have put about 800 dollars in repairs in the 4th year now.

I have always been a positive advocate of TOYOTA. None of my Toyotas ever gave me trouble but the RAV4 seems to be over-eating its share of my budget since the last year or may be I am overreacting. I am questioning my religion and I am not happy about the whole situation. If any of my friends get an air of all this, I will be toasted like the Malaysian Rye Bread in a brick oven.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
Took it back again today. They say I need a new thermostat. ($250) I am glad I am taking care of this before my 15 hour cross country trip in a few days.
I hope you're taking care of it yourself or somewhere else and not paying those thieves $250 to replace a $12 part...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am questioning my religion and I am not happy about the whole situation.

Sounds like you are' losing your religion', LOL
Have you been changing your radiator fluid religeously. I.E. every 2 years. This could have an effect on thermostat life.

Brian

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brianlj99 said:
I am questioning my religion and I am not happy about the whole situation.

Sounds like you are' losing your religion', LOL
Have you been changing your radiator fluid religeously. I.E. every 2 years. This could have an effect on thermostat life.

Brian
Fluids are very important to me. I want them as clean as the water in my glass. I have been "religiously" changing all my fluids.. i.e.. radiator, transmission(manual), diffs. I change oil myself at home so that is not a problem.

Fluids are my obsession so this was a heart breaker!

As far as religion is concerned, you sometimes get mad at God because things don't go your way and always come back to him :))

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had my RAV's thermostat replaced a few months ago. There was almost no indication other than the check engine light, but briefly the temp. guage would read lower than usual. And $250 sounds like about what the dealership I went to charged. Amazing, isn't it? :roll: :x

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nouse4aname said:
The OEM replacement is only $12.

That $250 is all in the dealer's exaggerated labor rate.

I have no idea why people go to a dealer for work outside warranty.
Over a period of 15 years, I had my nice cars destroyed because of "in house", "side of the road" mechanics and I am not taking my RAV4 there. Plus, I am keeping it until my retirement anyway.

I simply do not have the tools or knowledge to monkey around with the cooling system/thermostat. It is good to be as knowledgeable as you are with car repairs/mechanics.

I have ONLY been able to do things like tire rotation, oil changes, tune ups, body work myself.

I will get more details about the parts/labor from dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There are plenty of examples of incompetent Toyota service shops out there. Finding a good mechanic requires a little homework and getting references.

It's not like the dealer mechanics are 'super mechanics'. They just follow the steps in the service manual like anyone else would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts