Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of the things I hate about driving, and it is a working list, so feel free to add anything you want, so long as it pertains to the topic. This is not something I copied and pasted from some site on the Internet, I came up with this all by myself.

I do a lot of driving compared to the average person, about 30K miles a year, and I think I've seen just about everything. Not to say that I think I'm a perfect driver (because I've had my fair share of mishaps) but my mistakes, although few and far between, can truly be considered accidents, and not bad driving or stupidity. Although I am fairly young, I've gotten to that point in time when you become mature and realize that all the stupid things you did when you were young were just that, stupid.

1.) Cell phones, and the people who talk on them while driving. I rarely ever talk on my cell phone while driving, and when I do it's a short conversation and not while I'm driving in busy traffic. I don't care what anyone else thinks, your brain can only do one thing at a time well. So if you're talking on your cell phone, flipping through a map, fixing your hair, or eating, you're not driving very well.

2.) Headlights that are out of alignment, ghetto-rigged HID's, and people who use their fog/driving lights in good weather (especially those who have HID's but still feel the need to use their fog lights). These should be self-explanatory. The quest for ever-brighter headlights is a vicious cycle; eventually the fronts of our cars and trucks will look like football stadiums at night and we will all have to wear sunglasses 24 hours a day.

3.) The 40-mph drivers. It doesn't matter if the speed limit is 25 or 55, these people have their speedo stuck on 40 mph. The could go through a dozen different speed zones and never adjust their foot on the gas pedal. A variant of these is the 35-mph drivers, who usually only appear on sunny Saturday afternoons.

4.) People who want to see how dark it can get before they need to turn on their headlights. I see this on the interstate all the time.

5.) Cars with burned out head lights, tail lights, or other indicators. This just makes you look stupid. I love the people who would rather drive around and risk getting a ticket instead of spending a couple bucks on a new bulb.

6.) People who drive around during the day with their high beams on. I can see the purpose of driving around with your headlights on during the day (although I'm not crazy about it) but move your damn Big Mac so you can see the little blue light on the dash.

7.) The I'm-going-to-fake-you-out-with-my-turn-signal drivers. I had a car in front of me the other day, and apparently the people inside couldn't decide where to go because they kept flipping the turn signal back and forth before finally making that right, err left, turn. And people wonder where road rage comes from.

I'm working on some more.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Having just returned from a 500 mile round trip, a couple spring to my mind. Picking up the numbering where Jeff left off:

8. People who think they need to drive 100 mph in very heavy traffic, zipping around cars that are already driving nearly bumper-to-bumper by zig-zagging across three or more lanes of traffic. One tiny miscalculation, or one driver in front or behind who doesn't do what the 100 mph driver expects them to do and a lot of people can get seriously hurt or killed in this situation. Save it for the race track.

9. People who drive 60 mph in the left lane, ignoring the long line of traffic trapped behind them that is waiting for them to either speed the heck up or move into the right lane.

Becky

T

·
0 Posts
Yes I think most people would agree,
my pet peeves are as follows-Everyday I drive from one city to another and back again for work and the following is what I strike day in and day out on the highway...

1) Tunnel Vision Drivers-Rear vision Mirrors!
some people realy have no need to have these erected in their cars, I find most dont bother using these, as they are of course are the only people on the road!

2) Line Huggers....I get these every day, if you cant do the speed limit, pull over so everyone else can pass safely!! That also includes B Trains.

3)My Favourite-Passing lanes
there are some drivers who are dedicated followers of samples 1 and 2 but they soon discover that their cars can not only happen to do the speed limit, but can actualy go above it!
For some reason this occurs only when they come up to a passing lane, so after racing along like the speed of light with no one able to pass them, they quickly return to their 'tunnel vision line hugging' ways!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like this thread..
- I hate people who merge unto the freeway going like 35 mph. If you have enough room and there's ample space, press on the gas to merge at freeway speeds. Seems like V6 and v8 drivers wasted more money on buying something they don't even use.
-People who don't turn on their lights when the rains get strong enough to throw mist on the freeways. Hello!! It's more for others to see you and not you to see others.
- People who still don't get that at some intersections or lights, the left turn lanes gets priority over opposing traffic wanting to turn right.
-People who still don't get that a "red arrow" means no turn on red and isn't the same as a solid red.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My favorite is people who exit the interstate from the left lane! They cut across three lanes of traffic to exit. It's like they forget to get over. :x

·
Registered
471 Posts
I really hate when some old lady is driving wrong way on the one way road right towards and starts screaming and honking at you. I had this happen to me once . I pulled over right next to lady and after 15 min discusion and couple F-Bombs I proved to the lady that she was going the wrong way not me, and her response to this was that when she was young this road was two way. Well I told her that I though that when she was young the road wasn't even build yet. And there was some more of F-Bombs......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jeff said:
3.) The 40-mph drivers. It doesn't matter if the speed limit is 25 or 55, these people have their speedo stuck on 40 mph.
:D

So true!!!

I drive almost all of time on roads (where speed limit is 55mph) who cross towns where speed limit is 30mph .
Some drivers drive at 40-50mph steady, in any speed zone!!!

I hate drivers who slows down under speed limit in cruves but accelerate over speed limit in straigh line.
Very difficult to overtake them!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate the people who jam on their brakes whenever they see a cop, even if they aren't speeding.

Another thing is the people who randomly hit their brakes on the highway for no reason (a brake check) which makes everyone else hit their brakes in response. Multiply this by a few dozen cars and this creates useless traffic jams on the highway.

·
Registered
422 Posts
YES to both of Jeff's latest!

A friend of Ricky's is a cop and he told us years ago that hitting the brakes when you see a cop is the worst thing you can do. It draws their attention and makes them suspicious that you may have been speeding even if the truth is you weren't. IF you ARE speeding, the best thing to do is simply let off the accellerator to slow down. If you're NOT speeding, JUST KEEP GOING!

And the thing about hitting the brakes for no apparent reason on the highway...SO many people do that! It makes me crazy!

Becky

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The last thing that Becky said about the brakes reminds me so much about some people driving on the freeway and are braking at the same time. A friend of mine told me that they do that cuz they're lazy to switch foot between the pedals, that they have their heel on the brakes and the toes on the gas. I can't possibly imagine myself doing that, as it gets other people confused and i'm guessing that's bad for the brake pads... too much unnecessary friction :x

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I hate a lot of these things but another one is people with a broken tail light so instead of a dull red light in your face you get a bright white light in your face all the time.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Alien18 said:
I really hate when some old lady is driving wrong way on the one way road right towards and starts screaming and honking at you. I had this happen to me once . I pulled over right next to lady and after 15 min discusion and couple F-Bombs I proved to the lady that she was going the wrong way not me, and her response to this was that when she was young this road was two way. Well I told her that I though that when she was young the road wasn't even build yet. And there was some more of F-Bombs......
this post is hilarious, by the way.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Tailgaters ( I like the bumper sticker "If you're riding my ass you better be pulling my hair") LOL

People who won't at least do the speed limit

People who pull out in front of you and go way under the speed limit and refuse to pull over so you can pass

Those who drive with their turn signals on and never turn

High beam headlighs, headlights that need to be adjusted or burnt out headlights

Women applying makeup while driving, one eye on the mascara and one on the road, hope they never have to stop fast :evil:

Men shaving while driving

People who think they can read a map, newspaper or magazine while driving

People who cut you off

Red light runners and those who think it's ok to roll through a stop sign

People who throw trash or lit cigarettes out the window

Those who refuse to wear seatbelts ( I know it's a personal choice, also the law and proven fact it saves lives)

Weaving in and out of traffic

Drunk Drivers

Immature drivers who act like they are trying to leave half their daddy's tires behind on the pavement

Sitting in traffic next to someone who has their RAP music blaring

Old people who should have given up their license years ago, I really do believe past a certain age you should be given a driving test every year

I could go on and on LOL

I use my cell phone all the time when driving, I use voice calling, so no dialing and I use my bluetooth, both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road 100% of the time. Cell phone safety depends on the person, I have seen some text messaging on their cell phones while driving :!:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Personally I hate people who "circle" your car like they are trying to heard you or something :? it pissed me off so much today I put the hammer down for a mile or two to get away from the guy :roll:

Im going on a 1200 miles road trip tomorrow, so I will have plenty when I get back on Sunday.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used to have a long commute to work (45 miles each way, so 90 miles a day) mostly highway. So I have seen a lot of things as well.

At least once a week there would be someone that came close to driving into me. Whether it be cutting across multiple lanes to get to a certain point and not caring where they were going, or people not paying attention when changing lanes. Thankfully I was never hit, but I had a couple that were pretty close. I think that falls under the "Tunnel Vision Drivers".

People that talk on their cell phones annoy me as well. They never really pay attention to the road and often swerve and cross the lines. I always do my best to get away from those people. The people with Hands-free devices were never as bad, but it is funny when you look at them because they are laughing or talking and you wonder who they are talking to not realizing they are on the phone.

The worst I think I have seen, which LdyDee mentioned, are people that READ while they are driving. I have seen people with the newspaper and even books! How the hell can these people even do that?!?!? It just boggles my mind. I have issues sometimes when I am flipping through my iPod for the song I want, and I usually try to avoid looking at it. :? :?

Slow drivers are always bad. Especially the ones that drive below the speed limit and have a Semi riding their ass. I don't know what they are thinking, but if a Semi is riding my ass and I have a chance to get out of his way, I flippin do it! That crap should be common sense.

Something that always confused me about some vehicles are the ones that drive through an EZPass Lane, and the display says "No Tag Read". I wonder if these people actually have EZPass and never bothered to install it in their car, or if they think "Hey, I haven't gotten a ticket yet. I will keep driving through the tolls without paying!" :doh:

Other people that REALLY piss me off are the ones that don't have EZPass, then realize AFTER THEY ARE ALREADY IN THE TOLL that they are in the wrong lane. I had a women get in the toll, the display said "Go. Toll Unpaid" but the driver Stopped, and tried to BACK UP!! I leaned on my horn for a good 30 seconds. And when I gestured for them to go through, they looked back at me, and shook their head NO!! :wall: :wall: After leaning on my horn for another 30 seconds, as well as people behind me starting to beep, the moron finally decided that she might as well just go on through the toll anyways. :roll: :roll:

Bah! Now i'm upset and thinking, "Some idiots need to stop driving and take the flippin' bus!!!"

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
probably the worst is people who drive slow where they can't be passed and then speed up at the passing lanes. this is a big problem between Vancouver and Whistler. although usually these people don't know the road too well so it's easy to outfox them and blast by them right at the start of the passing zone before they even realize it's there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
-Tailgaters who are always speeding up and hitting the breaks in traffic. This really annoys me.

-Rude people who yell and give the 'finger' to other drivers on the highway.

-Road Rage in general

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drive mostly two lane blacktop, about sixty miles a day. My number one pet peeve is tailgating. I generally drive about 5 mph over the speed limit, and several times a week I get some moron who just has to ride right behind me.

This is New England Patriots territory, and I'm from Pittsburgh. I just put a "Pittsburgh Steelers, Five Time World Champions" cover over my spare tire, I figured it'll give the jerks something to enjoy.

I think that you can tell a lot about a person's character by the number of times they hit their brakes while driving. I've noticed that break lights are always going on and off when someone is driving aggressively.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts