Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new owner of a Limited AWD with Advanced Technology Package and TSS, here are my thoughts so far on the features I really like and those that I think could be improved upon. I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

Let me preface by saying that I really like the car overall.

1 - Love the many safety features, especially BSM and Birdseye view (when driving slowly and parking in tight spots), LDA and 360.
2 - The layout and easy to reach knobs/buttons for the climate control.
3 - Nice storage tray area above glove compartment(for putting phone).
4 - Plenty of cupholders that can be used for drinks or storage.
5 - Extensions for visors, both driver and passenger.
6 - If you have a smartkey, and the car is locked, when you approach the car the interior will light up before you enter.
7 - Really good value for the features and price. The only SUV that has most of these features that is close to price is the Rogue and I'd prefer RAV4.

Room for Improvement:
1 - Have an audio alert option for the BSM.
2 - Provide option for heated steering wheel in the states.
3 - Lighted controls for the door locks and windows (hard to see in dark)
4 - Have higher ground clearance than 6.3". Personal preference since coming from a higher SUV.
5 - Have power seat controls for passenger.
6 - Have a tighter/stiffer/precise steering wheel feel. It feels kind of loose when driving.
7 - Easier to reach and see controls for the heated seats.
8 - Voice control for navigation to recognize names of places, like Waldorf Astoria Hotel, instead of stating precise address.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Canadian Hybrid Limited with Technology package

• Updated exterior styling
  • Hybrid option for not a whole lot of premium
  • Cabin heating seems to come much sooner thanks to LDC (electric coil) or something to that effect
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Windshield de-icer (haven't tried it yet)
Improvements:
  • Don't get much audio/volume when sitting at the back (this is on the 11 speaker at 7 locations setup and with the front/rear balance at the center)
  • Side mirrors cannot be electronically folded
  • TPMS missing in Canada
  • Entune is not available Canada
  • Bigger sill protectors that wraps around the sill on the outer edge instead of puny ones
  • Ride still a little jarring when seated at the rear while traveling over slight depressions (man holes / sewer covers)
I don't things will change seeing how the revised RAV4 may be near its end of life in the 2017 model.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Birds' eye view screen needs to be bigger.

Heated steering heats whole steering wheel, not just part of it, and there should be a low setting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rear climate control... I cannot believe this is missing from such an awesome car.

Every winter, the people in the back complain about being too cold - so we have to pump up the heat (which makes us too hot).

This is my only major gripe with the RAV4.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agree with everything so far in this thread. For me, the most disappointing is the sound quality of the JBL 11 speaker system. I sat in a Lexus NX last week and what a difference! Nice, full, rich sound. The RAV4 sounds like it needs 2 more subs (and I've turned the bass setting all the way up)! And yes, the rear seat speakers just suck!
Haven't researched all the threads here, but has anyone started investigating speaker replacements?

Rear climate control... I cannot believe this is missing from such an awesome car.

Every winter, the people in the back complain about being too cold - so we have to pump up the heat (which makes us too hot).

This is my only major gripe with the RAV4.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On my car it only heats the hand grips above and below the cross brace.

Birds' eye view screen needs to be bigger.

Heated steering heats whole steering wheel, not just part of it, and there should be a low setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My gripe is not being able to enter addresses to The navigation while the car is moving. Passengers enter addresses, not just drivers. There should be away to override this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
On my car it only heats the hand grips above and below the cross brace.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I wish it heated the whole steering wheel. BTW, the same problem exists with the Lexus. It's annoying, and several luxury car reviewers have remarked on that with the Lexus too.

But I guess it's better than the Prius, which doesn't get a heated steering wheel at all, even with the top trim options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Am I the only one a little disappointed with the shifting? I expected it to shift more like the Camrys I've driven, but maybe it has something to do with this being AWD?

I wish the touchless locking had a stronger signal. I have to take my glove off and touch the handle for the doors to lock. I also wish that when I opened the hatch, all the doors didn't unlock (there's probably a setting I can adjust for this).

I had to upgrade the shift knob as the standard one looked cheap.

The infotainment screen washes out at times.

The various messages that pop up in the instrument cluster disrupt your ability to scroll through your stations. Maybe there's a way to turn those off.

I wish all four windows had the auto up/down.

I'd like air-conditioned seats.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Rav. It's well-built and nicely-equipped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far.

Two additional things I noticed.

1 - When switching radio stations from Satellite to regular FM HD, the volume goes from a regular sound to a very low volume on the FM. I will bring it to the dealer's attention on the next visit. Also, for having the premium speaker system, the sound isn't all that great.
2 - It seems as though the camera lens for the birdseye view need to be wiped frequently after driving on wet roads, like after rain or snow. This is to keep the camera view clear. On another car with topview, I hardly wiped the cameras.

Overall still a very good SUV.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wish the touchless locking had a stronger signal. I have to take my glove off and touch the handle for the doors to lock. I also wish that when I opened the hatch, all the doors didn't unlock (there's probably a setting I can adjust for this).
You can set the doors not to all unlock. In fact, this was the default setting on my car. I had to change it to get all the doors to unlock. The procedure to change this is in the manual.

It just so happens my gloves are made to be compatible with smart phones, so on a good day I can tap on my iPhone without taking the gloves off (although it doesn't work consistently). Interestingly, these gloves work with the touch sensors on the RAV4 most of the time. I haven't tried other gloves.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2010 Limited and am thinking of buying a 2016 Limited.

Does the 2016 have a subwoofer in the door?

The Canadian version doesn't currently have Entune. Will the JBL system be able to support it if it becomes available, and can I take it to the US and have it updated with US firmware?

My 2010 is a V6, will I be disappointed with performance?

thx

·
Registered
73 Posts

The Canadian version doesn't currently have Entune. Will the JBL system be able to support it if it becomes available, and can I take it to the US and have it updated with US firmware?

thx
I do not know if the subwoofer is in the door...

But I do know a LOT of people complain about the upgraded sound system.

·
Registered
846 Posts

thx
If you aren't like me, who bought a 2011 Honda Accord coupe in December 2010 and a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited in January without test driving the cars, I suggest you visit your local dealership and check the car out yourself.

Not sure but Entune eligibility is based on VIN and not the location of the car. I'm sure you can do whatever modifications you want, including the Entune. Please keep us posted if you buy the car and decide to hack it. :)

The sounds on the JBL package sucks. I don't even care but I noticed the volume at the back is so faint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hybrid gets much better mileage, has better acceleration and handling than my 2013 Rav4.
Much quieter
the 4.2" MFT display
bigger main display
chrome door handles (I didn't like them at first but they grew on me).
new cupholder with handle cutout

Dislikes:

Fairly useless ECO gauge
no heated wheel/wiper deicer
memory position for power seats not linked to keys

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few more observations:

- Gas mileage seems to be almost 29-30mpg with mostly highway driving.
- Defrost and heating up the interior of the car are both quick.

Improvement:

- Sirius does cutout for a second or two when passing by tall buildings or tall trees (didn't happen really on other cars with Sirius). Maybe the buffer to store isn't large enough ?

- When using radar cruise control and going uphill, I can notice the car hesitating slightly at times to go up to the set speed, perhaps the gears are shifting. It could be a smoother shift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello guys.
My major complaint on my 2016 rav the inside door where the plastic is it collect all snow and ice. Which is terrible to keep it clean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts