Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought some newish snow tires from a lady and had them installed at a local place. But I noticed now that there is something missing in the centre. In the picture if you zoom in you see an exposed rust coloured thing with threads that obviously something screws on top. What is that THINGY you screw on top? I've seen fancy metal covers with the toyota symbol on other Ravs, but from ebay pictures showing underneath of them there is no threads to screw on to the rust thing already on the wheel. Maybe they pop over top of the stuff around the thread? Plus they are $20 each on ebay so I'd rather know if there is a cheaper solution.

Thanks
This is for an 03 rav btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
The threads you are looking at are on the axle shaft. Nothing screws onto them. There should be a plastic cap a little smaller than the inside diameter of the lug nut circle. These just pop on. Chances are the tire shop popped them off to balance the tires, and either they broke them or forgot to put them back on.

I think this is what it looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea those are the things that cost $20 each. do they serve a purpose or are they just for show? can i leave the wheel center exposed? lots of road salt up here in winter

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
yea those are the things that cost $20 each. do they serve a purpose or are they just for show? can i leave the wheel center exposed? lots of road salt up here in winter
You should be able to find regular hub dust covers for pretty cheap. Probably any auto parts store would have them:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts