Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a 07’ RAV4 and have a few questions. Little history, please.

Purchased an 03’ Honda Element in March of last year as a third vehicle to take some of the stress off my 04’ Tundra. I work less than 2 miles from home and the Tundra was getting 12 MPG and sometimes lower, not getting heated up killed the exhaust systems. I spotted the Element and made the deal. In hindsight probably should have thought through it a little better, but I didn’t so here I am. We have a couple reasons for getting the Element…need something little lower for our lab to get in and out of or a lower height that we can pick him in and out of, better gas mileage to get to work, if it died in a couple years…no big deal, but I digress. Today day I spot a used RAV4 that looked to be in very good condition, while setting at a traffic light, I could just make out the stick in the window…2007, 163k miles, $4400 (at least that what it all looked like to me). Couldn’t tell if it was a V6 or 4 cylinder, but let go with the 4. I’ve owned 5 Toyota’s since I first started driving and while they have issues I absolutely love them, stone reliable. This will take the place of the Element and be my daily driver…work, around town, Lowes (when the stuff will fit), Triton Wagon (our Lab) and a 120 miles road trip every week. So is there anything I need to look out for with this 07 RAV4? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
A large number of 4 cyl engines of that year have had severe oil consumption issues because of OEM faulty piston rings. Toyota rebuilt those engines whose owners knew about and responded to a TSB which was issued. You should able to determine whether the rebuild was done on that vehicle by obtaining the VIN, going to www.toyotaowners.com and registering, and entering the VIN in the appropriate space. That should reveal all of the vehicle's services done by Toyota including any engine work.
If the vehicle has the V6 there were problems with the coolant pumps failing. If the pump failed and was replaced by Toyota that info should be available via the same route. Also the oil supply return line part which was made of a rubber compound should have been replaced with an all metal version as the rubber-type lines were prone to failure.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The V6 emblem is in the front of the grill which is hard to miss. Lots of 2006 to 2008 are selling very cheap. The price is tempting but since you probably don't have much knowledge stay away from 2006 to 2008 with 2.4 litre engines. These are not quite as reliable as the older Toyota. They have quite a bit of problems. The engine have high oil consumption. Each car varies but some burn more than others and the older it get the more it burns oil. You want something reliable so go only with 2009 to 2012 models. I know not as cheap but for those that take a chance and get a $5000 engine rebuild bill can easily offset any saving. You need to do more research as the findings will show most problems are from 2006 to 2008. After 2009 the number of problems goes down quite a bit. The engine for the 4 banger was redesigned in 2009 with the newer 2.5 litre engine that is trouble free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts