Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering a purchase of a '15 Limited , 79K. Good one owner carfax , no accidents, regular oil changes, recent 75 K service. From Virginia. Former Runner driver , 3rd gen , current GX470 pilot. Gas is killing me...would like to hear some real world feedback , clearly a Toyota guy , so I'm not a hard sell. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
Car: red, with some black trim
142 Posts
Well, I have had mine just a couple of months and I'm satisfied. If you are going to DIY, then this is an easy car to work with apart from the engine oil filter which requires you to get beneath the car with disposable gloves on.
Some areas you may notice:
  • Road noise which can be improved with some sound deadening.
  • Stereo sound may not be what you are used to, can be improved with sound deadening and some new speakers in the dash, details here on this forum.
  • Steering is light, great for in town, maybe a shade too light for high speed but depends on what you are used to.
  • Very comfortable seats.
  • Good visibility, feels solid and larger than it is in a positive way.
  • Hardwearing easy to clean interior.
  • plenty of plastic at the front and rear to fend off rouge supermarket trolleys and minor damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Generally change my own oil , and other routine stuff. Haven't actually driven one yet , but plan to soon. Just drove a '14 CR-V , and when I got back into the Lexus , the steering felt heavy. And I had never perceived it that way before. I was almost annoyed with it , when it had always felt solid and robust before. Good to hear it cleans easy , as I try to do outdoor recreational stuff. Any experience putting a bike in the back ? Have a hardtail mtn bike , with 29's, wondering if it will fit ? Put my gravel bike in the CR-V , it fit with front wheel turned on a 90 , with bike on its side laying flat. And I believe the Rav has a few cubic feet more cargo volume. How many miles are you at , if that's not too personal ? Also any idea of your average mpg ? Thanks in advance for any further input.

·
Registered
Car: red, with some black trim
142 Posts
I have not tried a bike in the rear yet. With the rear seat down, It would probably fit with the front wheel off and the handle bars @ 90 deg, worst case you'll have to remove the rear wheel too, though I plan to get a roof mounted bike carrier. Thule.
One reason I did not buy the hybrid Rav4 of the same age, is that the floor is not flat with the rear seat down. There is a large ridge caused by the top of the battery which the non-hybrid does not have.
My 2015 European Rav has 40,000 miles on it. It will be a different motor than the US version, 3ZR-FAE, but very similar. 26mpg ( US gal ) average is what seems normal, this is both measured tank to tank, and just observing the trip computer.
I also considered a CRV, never drove one the same age, however owners warned me of rattles, loose parts, and noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info , thanks. Have located a '14 with 43k , great carfax , a color I favor, and the options I want. It's an AWD XLE. Yep , in the states we get the 2AR-FE , 2.5 L. Very excited to check this thing out , price is reasonable. I have a receiver mount two place rack , so I could just put a receiver hitch on , carry bikes , and keep the inside free for other gear , camping , etc. This will be the first Toyota I have ever owned with less than 100k on the clock. Hoping all goes well , and it doesn't get purchased before I arrive back in town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the response. Generally change my own oil , and other routine stuff. Haven't actually driven one yet , but plan to soon. Just drove a '14 CR-V , and when I got back into the Lexus , the steering felt heavy. And I had never perceived it that way before. I was almost annoyed with it , when it had always felt solid and robust before. Good to hear it cleans easy , as I try to do outdoor recreational stuff. Any experience putting a bike in the back ? Have a hardtail mtn bike , with 29's, wondering if it will fit ? Put my gravel bike in the CR-V , it fit with front wheel turned on a 90 , with bike on its side laying flat. And I believe the Rav has a few cubic feet more cargo volume. How many miles are you at , if that's not too personal ? Also any idea of yoiraverage mpg ? Thanks in advance for any further input.
I always put my large 29er hardtail on the back with rear seat folded. dont need to remove wheel, fits easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good info , didn't want to have to regularly remove the front wheel , through axles. How many miles do you have , or kilometers rather? And have you experienced any issues? I was just looking at your response history and see a torque convertor shudder thread , that's why I took the CR-V back , shuddering at 50k. Then the internet scared me off , otherwise , I liked the vehicle quite a bit. But that was my first non Toyota in almost a decade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts