I just picked up my 2006 V6 Limited 4x4, Blizzard Pearl/Tan interior
EJ - JBL 440W Upgraded stereo
GY - Side curtain airbags
RL – Running lights
SR – Sunroof
PC – Special color (Blizzard Pearl)
TO – Tow Package
CF – Carpet floor mats

Has anyone removed the badges/emblems off the rear door? It should be a slam dunk if it's double sided tape. However I'm concerned about some of them being held on by rivets.............anyone?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If your 2006 RAV4 is anything similar to the 1st and 2nd generation RAV4s, then it is only held on by double sided tape (or something similar). Most Toyotas do not utilize that pin mounting system like most Hondas do. Good for us! :D

Good trick is to use a hair dryer to heat it up and fishing line to remove badges. Then paint safe adhesive remover followed up by a nice coat of wax. 8)

What are you going to do with the grill badge, if I may ask. :D

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
New superlines like Tuff line or even older Dacron braided lines work better than mono.....if you have any or know someone that has a little to share, too expensive to buy a spool of it, tho. Just be sure to hold to the back side of the part being removed on curved body sections especially, the line will scratch the clear coat if you don't.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies; sorry for the delayed response....it's been a busy week, hardly time to enjoy the new rig!

Derek, I wasn't thinking of taking the front grill badge off, but I did take a look and saw that it might be the same grill as the 4 Cyl.....hmmm maybe that will go as well. I'll let you know how that goes.

It's getting hotter by the day here in Tucson, so maybe I won't need a hair dryer to get it going.........good ideas on the fishing line, and I do know someone that will give some up.

I thought of going to the dealer and looking at the exploded view to see if it's riveted as a starting point..........thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: Those Stinkin' Badges!

RAYDAHS said:
It should be a slam dunk if it's double sided tape. However I'm concerned about some of them being held on by rivets.............anyone?
It's a slam dunk :D No rivets 8)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for saving me a trip to the dealer Kelly!

On another note, I picked mine out after just coming in off the truck. It still had all the shipping stuff on it and I noticed the roof rack rails came with the front caps installed but the rear caps were off. When I saw that they were mounted with what looked like a 12mm bolt, I was thinking this puppy is coming off. Are these caps easy to take off?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's done....well at least the rails are off! Thank you so much Kelly for the TSB link for visualization purposes. Like I mentioned before, I saw mine as soon as it got off the truck and looked at it in depth to figure out how to get it off after taking delivery.

I've added pictures in my album to show how I did it (took @15 minutes). I did it once to see how to do it, then again for documentation purposes.........I hope it helps someone else out!

Kelly, I took a shot of the end plate lifted off the roof to see how to fill the channel it sits in. Since all Rav4's don't come with a rack, would it be possible to see if there is a one piece rubber channel filler available?
I would like to get the whole thing off the top if possible.....Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
RAYDAHS said:
Since all RAV4's don't come with a rack, would it be possible to see if there is a one piece rubber channel filler available?
Good job Raider 8) Wish I had access to parts diagrams for the RAV4 :( As you say... not all RAVs come with the roof rack... so YES... the channel filler should be available from your local Toyota dealer 8)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
So you have to pry the end caps off with a screwdriver in order to remove the crossbars? Ouch. Still, makes sense to do if you don't need a roof rack for anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok i did it. peeled the badges off. left the rav on the sidewalk in the sun. car wasnt too hot but was warm enough that i just peeled the badges off.

peeled very slowly keeping an eye on the foam tape to make sure it all came off with the badge. hardest badge was the RAV4 one sine it had the most adhesive. easiest were teh 4WD and Toyota ones. Side Limited badge i found it was easiest to peel from the bottom up. that way you wouldnt break the letters apart.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found removing the end caps of the roof rails to be pretty easy.

When standing at the side of the vehicle, looking directly at the end cap, take a flat screw driver and gently pry the outside cap from edge closest to the front of the car. This edge will be directly underneath the roof rail. You only have to pry it open just a crack.

With your other hand, you want to apply a twisting and upwards motion. Think of opening the lid of a jar. If you get it right, the cap just comes right off. The direction you twist the cap is towards yourself.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've had the desire to remove the roof rack for a while now. My parts dealer and I searched for a cap and came up with what is shown in the view below. Well it won't work; you need to buy the whole track system, they were good about it and gave me my money back on a special ordered part though. So if anyone had thoughts about going down this road, don't waste your time, it will get very expensive!

Here's what it would have looked like if I succeeded..actually I'm kind of glad it didn't work out, looks like a Matrix on steroids :shock:

FYI - There are more pics in my album for those curious what the mounting holes looks like underneath and what the cover actually looked like :p

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here is mine with the Toyota emblem removed.
I had a day that got into the 90's and just started to pull up on one corner of the emblem and it started to come off. Was fairly easy.

Some have removed all of them from the back door.

C

·
0 Posts
Hey RAYDAHS,

Where did you get your body side molding? I found some for mine on a Toyota website, but it was not straight and smooth like what you have.

Thanks,
Z

1 - 20 of 25 Posts