Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of a friend is selling the 2011 Rav4 base model 4wd with about 50k miles on it for $13800. He's selling because he has newborn want want to buy a van now. I looked at KBB and this is exactly what the KBB value is.

The owner has kept it in good shape and has new tires installed less than a year ago. He did mention having the rear suspension done (I believe this was because of the recall.)

The Rav4 doesn't have V6 so how big of a deal is this? All the cars I've driven before have V6 but I test drove this Rav4 and I felt like there was still good acceleration and pick up speed with the 4 cylinder. The main difference I noticed was the noise.

Is there anything I should know before purchasing?

My family sort of wants me to buy the new 2016 Rav4 for about $9000 more just so we won't have to worry about maintenance but to be honest, I'm loaded with debt right now and have more coming in the future.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ignoring specific vehicles, did the 4-cylinder have good acceleration with your family and their belongings in it, or just you alone test driving it?

I believe there is likely a very noticeable difference when the load is significantly more. But only a test drive under those conditions will tell you for sure.

When measuring acceleration, be sure the engine is up to full operating temperature. Toyota doesn't seem to unleash all the ponies until it's up to full temp.

Did this Base model have the Upgrade Value Package (aluminum wheels, power moon roof, body-colored door handles, 6-disc CD changer, daytime running lamps, roof rack, tinted privacy glass on rear and side, cargo tonneau cover)?

If so, that would increase the value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignoring specific vehicles, did the 4-cylinder have good acceleration with your family and their belongings in it, or just you alone test driving it?

I believe there is likely a very noticeable difference when the load is significantly more. But only a test drive under those conditions will tell you for sure.

When measuring acceleration, be sure the engine is up to full operating temperature. Toyota doesn't seem to unleash all the ponies until it's up to full temp.

Did this Base model have the Upgrade Value Package (aluminum wheels, power moon roof, body-colored door handles, 6-disc CD changer, daytime running lamps, roof rack, tinted privacy glass on rear and side, cargo tonneau cover)?

If so, that would increase the value.

I test drove it alone but you make a good point. I'll test drive it again with my family.

I do not think the base model has the upgrade value package. It doesn't have a power moon roof, the door handles are not the same color as the body, no daytime running lamps but it does have a roof rack and tinted privacy glass on rear and sides.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
that is not a bad price, but i would try to go lower lol...while no one can guarantee a trouble free car the base 4 pot should serve you well...as far as the engine goes...remember at one point back in the 80's a loaded v8 mustang had about 140 horsepower lol...while the 4 cylinder is not even close to the performance of the v6 it is not bad at all...and much easier to do maintenance on so it will save you money in the long run...

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
If you let us know where you're located we can do a quick search to see if it's a good deal in your area.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though I wished it had v6, I ended up buying the rav4. Already ordered the key lock OBD mod and am researching on how to install a double din nexus7 tablet, backup camera, and dashcam all integrated.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
It's good that you are letting members know that you've bought the RAV. Enjoy!

·
Registered
229 Posts
You got a great deal. I just got mine this summer with 34K miles for $14,000. Had to pay taxes when I registered, but I still saved $3000 which is what the dealership was charging for the same exact car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts