Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VVT Engine VS CVT Trans

I used to have a 2014 Corolla with a CVT and the RAV4 I have now has a VVT. I can tell a much better driving experience with the VVT. I know they are 2 completely different things but, they make the driving experience VERY different. What do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Disliked the CVT in the Forester I test drove so much I had no idea how the engine actually felt. Having a hard time understanding how you're forming your opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
So are we talking engines or transmissions? :confused:
Or don't we know? :doh:

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Two totally different technologies.

VVT-i is Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence, which is a feature of the engine. Honda has their own version called V-Tech. CVT is Continuously Variable Transmission, which Honda uses in the new CR-V, but Toyota doesn't offer in the RAV4 in N. America.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two totally different technologies.

VVT-i is Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence, which is a feature of the engine. Honda has their own version called V-Tech. CVT is Continuously Variable Transmission, which Honda uses in the new CR-V, but Toyota doesn't offer in the RAV4 in N. America.
I understand the distinction. The question us confused folks are asking is what's the OP trying to compare ... engines or transmissions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe the question OP was actually asking is "driving experience difference" when comparing the two different technologies. Yes, one is transmission technology(CVT) and other being Engine Valve(VVT) technology. His question is certainly valid re perceived driving experience differences. Both effect how a car responds to driving conditions. Not sure why all the confusion by this man's question!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe the question OP was actually asking is "driving experience difference" when comparing the two different technologies. Yes, one is transmission technology(CVT) and other being Engine Valve(VVT) technology. His question is certainly valid re perceived driving experience differences. Both effect how a car responds to driving conditions. Not sure why all the confusion by this man's question!
The reason the question does not make sense is because it's not one or the other (VVT vs. CVT). Your car can have none, or one, or both.

All modern cars with CVT have some type of VVT already. The new Corolla, CRV, Subarus, etc. equipped with a CVT have variable valve timing (although under different commercial names).

So trying to compare CVT vs. VVT simply doesn't make sense. Almost any car built in the past 5-6 years has a VVT engine. I doubt you can even find a recent model car with CVT without VVT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The reason the question does not make sense is because it's not one or the other (VVT vs. CVT). Your car can have none, or one, or both.

All modern cars with CVT have some type of VVT already. The new Corolla, CRV, Subarus, etc. equipped with a CVT have variable valve timing (although under different commercial names).

So trying to compare CVT vs. VVT simply doesn't make sense. Almost any car built in the past 5-6 years has a VVT engine. I doubt you can even find a recent model car with CVT without VVT.
Point taken..you are correct re most now have both technologies. Except the current Rav4 which has VVt with 6peed. So comparison between them is really about 6speed vs ccv. My belief is VVT has more impact coupled with CCV by mitigating torque more smoothly not to say this doesn't also occur with 6speed. I actually own both, 2014 Rav4 Limited and 2015 Corolla LE Premium. Both very good cars...yes both drive differently. Rav feels more spirited, Corolla more relaxed. Best way I can say it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Personally, I do not like the shifting characteristic of any continuously variable transmission (CVT), I still prefer either a manual transmission or automatic transmission (I only wonder how many gears can auto makers fit in to one transmission, went from 2-speed Fast & Faster to 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 speeds - let's just limit this to family cars, not counting the 18-wheelers).

As for the VVT and VVT-i, from a driver's perspective there is not that much difference to be able to feel just by driving in my view, yet from an efficiency standpoint VVT-i should run even cleaner than VVT; but, from a DIY standpoint the more high tech they get the less chance we can do any maintenance ourselves at home. The latest engine technology shown that (don't quote on the brand) Landrover and some Higher end & high performance cars, even with the spark plug gap if off by 1/1000 (0.039 vs 0.04) will cause combustion related issues leading failed EGR and other components that as we know will trigger the on board Check Engine light... If that precision is in all engines one day, manual gapping a spark plug can become historical - LOL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Now that picture posted by RTexasF has me even more confused than I was by the OP. :laugh

You may now have suspicions that I have zero knowledge about baseball :laugh

·
Registered
264 Posts

This may be the first thing from this poster I can actually agree with. Now what?

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Now that picture posted by RTexasF has me even more confused than I was by the OP. :laugh

You may now have suspicions that I have zero knowledge about baseball :laugh
It's an age old comedy (back then) act. If you google it you can review the whole thing in its entirety. It makes as much sense as this thread.......which is none.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
It's an age old comedy (back then) act. If you google it you can review the whole thing in its entirety. It makes as much sense as this thread.......which is none.

+1 !!! :wink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts