Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for new small SUV and the new RAV seems to fit the bill perfectly. I've never owned a Toyota and know little about their products other than through casual conversation.

Does anyone know if the previous RAVs when they were introduced had first year problems? How about first year models of other Toyota products? Have there been serious long-term problems or just little fixes?

We currenty have a CR-V and my wife is itching to get rid of it so she can transport more kids...and the third row would be perfect. I don't know if I get her to hold out for a year to work out potential bugs.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
It's a Toyota. 'Nuff said! :D

Seriously, Toyota is one of the few manufacturers I have no problem purchasing first model year vehicles from without question. Witness my 2001 RAV4 -- first model year and nary a problem. I would have had a '96 way back when, but getting rid of the car I had only one year into the loan period would've been horrendous indeed, two was bad enough! :shock:

The others on that list would be Lexus, Honda and Acura... maybe Infiniti, but I really only like their G35 Coupe. :wink:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't really think the new RAV will be a "kid hauler". Yes it will have a third row but I think it will fit only 4 year olds. In three years time the 7 year olds won't fit. Kid hauler=minivan ie: Sienna AWD. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Great on the highway but a hell of alot more $$$.

Highlander is a little bigger but is about to under-go a revamp soon as well from what I hear. Get one soon or the price will baloon like the RAV.

As far as quality, Wouldn't hesitate a bit to buy right out of the box. First year or not. Like he said.....its a TOYOTA afterall.

By the way did anyone Know about the new assembly plant in San Antonio Texas for Toyota. It may be old news but I saw it on a picture the other day online.

Later. M.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Marcutio said:
Highlander is a little bigger but is about to under-go a revamp soon as well from what I hear. Get one soon or the price will baloon like the RAV.

By the way did anyone Know about the new assembly plant in San Antonio Texas for Toyota. It may be old news but I saw it on a picture the other day online.

Later. M.
Well, unless they're seriously cutting Highlander prices with incentives and whatnot, a base version still demands $5k more than the 2006 RAV4.

To make things clear, the RAV4 price didn't balloon, it barely blipped and is quite the bargain as a result. With the plethora of standard features added to the the 2006 and it being a new model year and a bigger vehicle to boot, the base MSRP squeaked up less than 1%... exactly $200, to make the base 2006 $20,300 (you can't count the $19,050 base of the manual front-wheel drive model, because you can't get a stick anymore) -- start adding options to a 2005 and a comparably equipped 2006 even costs less! Of course, at the top end, the V6 and other options you could never get previously make it cost more.

Standard features even in the BASE 2006:
Air Conditioning, Electric Power Steering, Automatic Limited Slip Rear Differential (2WD), Traction Control, Four Wheel Anti-Lock Disk Brakes w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Brake Assist, Power Locks, Power Windows, Keyless Entry Remote, Rear Privacy Glass, Rear Spoiler, Power Side View Mirrors, (3) Power Outlets, AM/FM/CD/MP3 (w/ mini audio jack input) Stereo, Automatic Vehicle Stability Control, Tilt & Telescoping Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Outside Temperature Gauge

San Antonio: Did you mean the engine assembly plant?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm not sure what it is. I just saw a welcome to San Antonio Toyota. I don't know.

M

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't buy the first year model of anything. It doesn't matter if it a motorcycle, bicycle, fishing rod or whatever. There always seems to be problems they never iron out in the first run.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Don't buy a VW, they have "first year" problems every year.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Not me, my last VW was a great car and I'll probably be getting into a new one next summer.

Sweeping generalisations, good or bad, tend to be less than accurate. I'd expect the first year of the RAV4 to have more issues than subsequent years. Toyotas are not perfect and not immune to Murphy's Law. However, I'd also expect those issues to be minor and they wouldn't scare me off from buying a 2006 RAV4 if I was in the market.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
bmorton said:
Not me, my last VW was a great car and I'll probably be getting into a new one next summer.

Sweeping generalisations, good or bad, tend to be less than accurate. I'd expect the first year of the RAV4 to have more issues than subsequent years. Toyotas are not perfect and not immune to Murphy's Law. However, I'd also expect those issues to be minor and they wouldn't scare me off from buying a 2006 RAV4 if I was in the market.
Like I mentioned, I bought a first year 4.2 and it's been a beautiful experience. Absolutely zero problems. Only thing I lost out on not waiting for was a few options and I would have had to wait until 2004 for the slightly higher-powered 2.4L.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Congratulations, I'm glad you've personally had a positive experience, and I hope 2006 owners have the same. Like I said, I don't believe that Toyotas are necessarily above first-year issues, however. Hondas certainly aren't. However, because it's a Toyota I'd have much more confidence in it than a first-year Ford, for example.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
(long time reader first time poster...)

My family's had our Rav4 since '96 when they first came out, and we have NEVER had any problems with it. Its actually my dad's backup car for when his BMW breaks down (he's never living that one down) or for when my VW breaks down. I'm getting an '06 once I can test drive both a 4banger and a v6 at the same time so I can compare the two (Both of my other cars were 4bangers). (Side note: Ironicly, the '96 Rav4 has more horsepower than my lil 2000 VW Cabrio.)
Best decision my parents ever made was to get one of the first Rav4's!
Toyota's gotten their SUV's down right. My mom drove the Rav4 for 7 years, loved it, wanted more power, got a 4runner. So what if the v6 on a Rav4 is new? Toyota knows what they're doing and thats the most important thing!

·
Registered
771 Posts
My '01 is the first of the last new RAV and no problems with it yet.
With a new one...... Its under warranty anyway. Not like you'll have to pay for service before the lease is up. As the model years go on though I think you will get more for your money than you will right from the start.

Later. M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts