Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recomend a replacement HU and speakers that work well in the 4.1 ?
My stock HU is starting to sound so muddy that when the DJ talks on the radio , I have to turn the bass down to 1 to understand what they are saying .
Not good when you a a bass freak .
I'm not interested in large speaker boxes , just stock sized replacement speakers.

Let me know what you have and if you like it/them .

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I'm happy with my Pioneer head unit, and Pioneer speakers all around.... I replaced all the stock speakers with Pioneer's and they sound great... 8)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just swapped out my JVC HU for a Pioneer one with the OLED display. I use 6.5" Kenwood 2 way speakers, but planning on replacing the front speakers out with component speakers, either MB Quart or just finish up with Pioneers.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great input guys :D , keep it coming .
Now , I'm not a big audio phile and I am not looking
to "pimp" out my Rav with a mega $$ set up , so whose
audio system didn't cost an arm and a leg ?

I'm looking to spend about $225ish on the HU and
less then $200 for 4 speakers .

Do any quality sounding systems fall in this price range ??

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Well you can get some nice 6 1/2 pioneer speakers:

Pioneer 6 1/2" 3-Way Speakers (TS-A1671R)
On sale: $71.99 each at Circuit City

A decent pioneer head unit:

Pioneer In-Dash CD Player (DEH-P4700MP)
On sale: $135.99 at Circuit City

50 watts x 4 peak power
• Flip-down, multi-color LCD
• Two pre-amp outputs • MP3/WMA playback
• Remote control
• Satellite radio-ready

The more features you need price will increase of course...

Speakers: $ 71.99 X 4 = $287.96
HeadUnit: $135.99

That total is $423.95 before tax... :p

You will need some sort of adapter for the fronts to fit 6 1/2, I bought something from Crutchfield for I think around $20 or so....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kRz7dTsuqxw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=rav4&i=120828145

T

·
0 Posts
Installed Boston Rally 6.5 in the front. I left the rears stock since I don't hear it anyway and they do seem to add some bass as heard from the front. All running off the stock HU. Changing the front speakers will make a WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I was thinking of doing .
Replace the front speakers and if that doesn't satisfy me , then replace the HU .

B

·
0 Posts
Noooo! Spend he $200 on good front speakers and then save for cheaper rears!!

You'll blow those pioneers in no time! They work, but they don't sound that good

You can get incredible infinity Component speakers for the fronts with that $200 - go that route!

I've been through the cheap-o's and Kenwood/Pioneer are great for head decks, or more expensive speakers, but their sub $100 speakers are just junk!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Well, for $100 you're limiting your sound experience ... I'd say spend $70 more and go with these Polk Audio Component speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kve8ubfuAio/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=107DB6500&g=52000 or these Boston Acoustic speakers for $120: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kve8ubfuAio/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52000&I=065S65RC - but for sub $100 speakers, crutchfield really has nothing that, imho, is worth buying for 6.5" speakers. You could go with 5.25" speakers for under $100: go to this page: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kve8ubfuAio/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=51800&avf=N and at the bottom are Kickers .. Boston Acoustics ... and my personal favorite, Infinities - the last 3 on that page. I'd suggest any of those. For me, I'd rather spend a little more than I plan on spending so I can get beter quality speakers that will last longer and give me better sound. You can go with generic Kenwoods or Pioneers, but they make good head decks - I've never had their speakers last a long time. I hope these suggestions help!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I actually think the rear speakers are more important, considering they are more at head/ear level, you actually hear them more than the fronts... I think the pioneers do a great job and I haven't had any problems or complaints...

Just my .02 cents... 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts