Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently got the 2016 Limited hybrid model and this is my 1st RAV 4. I'm hoping to get the opinions of owners/experts (other than my dealer's opinion) who currently have experience with the same model and any previous RAV 4 models for comparison.

1. Does the suspension of 2016 model seem harsh, especially when on uneven roads? I previously owned a 2010 Acura RDX which I deemed to be sportier but this actually handles bumps on the roads better. I often brace myself when hitting a NJ pothole because the shocks seem non-existent (although it's unbelievably smooth on flat surfaces). Is this due to the wheel/tire package (mine came with the 18" Yokohamas)?
  2. Who installs freeze plugs? I noticed these in my glove box 4 months later when I brought the car in for service. The dealer claims that "someone" (apparently not them) should've installed these prior. The dealer also claimed that not having these installed didn't damage the car. Any thoughts?
  3. The traction control light goes off when I hit large bumps. Is this normal? When I asked the dealer to look into to it during my weekend appointment, the service tech said they don't do diagnostics on the weekend and will have to schedule something during the week. Is that normal dealer experience too?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1) The tires are partly to blame, but its a fairly stiff setup anyway. Low profice tires always feel rough.
2) Those plus go into body panels after shipping, the dealer failed to install them and nobody else.
3) The TC light comes on on bumps because the wheel tried to lock up. Usually its when the wheel is turned or you're braking too hard. This is normal TC operation.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Check your tire pressure! Mine was set to 45-47 lbs from factory on tires that were rated max 44 PSI. :mad:
I recommend 32 PSI as does Toyota.

That took car of rough ride on my SE which is similar suspension to the limited. Next I swapped tires and that took care of road noise, plus improved the ride further. The stock Ecopia 422 Plus tires were changed out for Michelin Premier shortly after I bought mine because I wasn't quite satisfied with noise level.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I drive PA and Jersey roads everyday too. By no means the smoothest but I think the car handles them well. I do not have the low profile tires on the XLE mine came with the 17 Geolandars which I will be switching out once the tire change comes up to Michelin Defenders. As stated earlier, those Yokohama tires are a bit harsh I would suggest the Michelin Premiere tires when you need to change tires. Costco is a good place to buy if you have a membership.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I drive PA and Jersey roads everyday too. By no means the smoothest but I think the car handles them well. I do not have the low profile tires on the XLE mine came with the 17 Geolandars which I will be switching out once the tire change comes up to Michelin Defenders. As stated earlier, those Yokohama tires are a bit harsh I would suggest the Michelin Premiere tires when you need to change tires. Costco is a good place to buy if you have a membership.

Looks like the Mechelin Pilot HX MXM4 are great as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like the Mechelin Pilot HX MXM4 are great as well.
I use Tirerack for the tire reviews and Consumer reports. I could not go with the Pilot HX MXM4 because the tread-wear and the snow performance were not so good in comparison to the PREMIER.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Costco is also an excellent place to buy your new car! I had a deal all worked out for $300 over "their fake invoice" and told the dealer I wanted to look more. Went thru Costco new car program and found same car, more options for $1000. UNDER dealer invoice. :smile

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never liked consumer reports. My parents bought a dishwasher years ago basing their decision on consumer reports and it was the highest rated dishwasher and it failed them 5 times. Never trust them at all. LOL

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Never liked consumer reports. My parents bought a dishwasher years ago basing their decision on consumer reports and it was the highest rated dishwasher and it failed them 5 times. Never trust them at all. LOL
Sorry to hear of your experience. I have to say, I have used Consumer Reports for most everything, since the early 70's, and have never been disappointed. CR helped me decide on the RAV4 Hybrid, even though it was not the highest rated. I find, even if you don't select one of their recommendations, the information they provide, really assists in making an educated decision. ?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. I have to say, I have used Consumer Reports for most everything, since the early 70's, and have never been disappointed. CR helped me decide on the RAV4 Hybrid, even though it was not the highest rated. I find, even if you don't select one of their recommendations, the information they provide, really assists in making an educated decision. ?

Same here, I've made hundreds of purchases over the last 30 some years based on CR ratings, never any regrets. :wink

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well I better chime in since now last 3 posts are from state of Washington LOL. I've always used them as well and not been burned yet. That said, there are no guarantees when it comes to purchasing big ticket items. Even the best of the best will have failures. Just that the failure rates will be considerably lower, and your chances BETTER then going your own way.

That said, the survey I posted was from Tire Rack anyway. :wink

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I've been going to the same local mom-and-pop tire experts for the past 10 years for my previous car,
1998 corolla.
Which is better for good ratings Tirerack or CR ???
anyone?
If it is me, CR is my only choice. Now this doesn't mean I don't look at other sources, and try to find out everything I can. However, I completely trust the CR experts to make unbiased recommendations, and unlike any other source, I am aware of, they have the resources and equipment, to perform equivalent performance and stress tests, on all tires (and any other product) they test. This is so important. Each tire brand is tested under the same conditions, so it is really apples to apples. They also, purchase their tires (or any other product), used for testing, through anonymous buyers, without revealing, they are for CR testing. They don't accept free products from manufacturers. It is possible, you may want a specific model, which CR has not tested, but they still provide excellent information, to assist you in making the best choice for you. There is no other equivalent source, for unbiased information.
I hear people disparage Consumer Reports, making all kinds of claims, and I always tell them, I am very interested to know the source of your information or evidence. Of course, this is always where it ends. I am still interested and waiting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My go to is usually TR but I will also check other sources such as CR. I use CR for almost everything else I research though and have not been disappointed in the results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts