Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was swapping the all-season tires for Winter tires on the new-to-me 2010 RAV4 last night and noticed that one of the all-season tires that came with it had more tread depth than the other three. I know some AWD vehicles are very sensitive to variations in tire circumference and this would be a no no on them. Is the RAV4 one of those vehicles? My owner's manual does not mention this as a problem. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Not a problem.
Since a 4.3 RAV4 isn't a full time AWD, like for instance a Subaru, using tires with different wear isn't an issue. Your 4WD RAV4 runs in front wheel drive engaging the rear drive only when it anticipates it will be needed for traction.
On dry roads it will not attempt 4WD mode if the tread variation, as determined by wheel speed, exceeds 3%.
About the only time 4WD is needed on dry pavement is when "launching" a V6 from a stop. If you don't do that you won't notice any difference.
I would suggest using the two best matched tires on the front to preclude any unnecessary wear on the front differential.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I kinda figured it was a front wheel drive system that only engaged the rear wheels as needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
just to add too - you are okay, but moreso because the diffs are open, which Dr. Dyno alluded to. The diffs aren't trying to "lock" the wheels together at any varying degree as they would if it were a limited slip - technically the open working "harder" but doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the RAV4 will disable the 4WD system (won't even *try* to go into 4WD mode) if it detects the diameters of the tires are too far apart, specifically to prevent damage to the 4WD system.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the RAV4 will disable the 4WD system (won't even *try* to go into 4WD mode) if it detects the diameters of the tires are too far apart, specifically to prevent damage to the 4WD system.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
Yep, that's the 3% I mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts