Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I try to accelerate from idle at a red light my accelerator gets jammed and won't go down. I have to really step on it and suddenly it becomes unstuck and the car starts driving with a jerk.
Doesn't happen at cold start or after I restart the car. Only in the middle of driving if I have to idle sometimes.
Anyway, I think somewhere in the throttle cable casing the cable is getting stuck and I am getting concerned that it might snap one day.

I have decided to change the cable with costs around a 100 dollars.

Any ideas/comments before I do that? May be it is something else?
It is a 1998 with 199k miles.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oil the throttle body's shaft (too)?

It might be possible to grease the entire cable while it is still in the housing. I think I saw adapters for grease guns on eBay.

A stuck (wide open) throttle is no fun (been there), so go with the safest options!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil the throttle body's shaft (too)?

It might be possible to grease the entire cable while it is still in the housing. I think I saw adapters for grease guns on eBay.

A stuck (wide open) throttle is no fun (been there), so go with the safest options!
Discussed the WD40 type of options. Dealer advised against it for fire reasons.
I will just put a new cable in. Taking the vehicle to Alaska this summer (160 hour round trip with kids) ..... so i think the cable is worth it. LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Inspect the cleanliness of the throttle body interior. Look for carbon/sludge buildup around the edge of the throttle plate where it touches the throttle body at fully closed. Use the correct cleaner (do a search) so you don’t harm your sensors. Do another search so you don’t mess up your IAC by flooding it with gunk.
May not be your issue, but worth a look.
Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, but I only check in every few months . . . I just don't a lot of problems with my 16 yr old RAV!! As above, the sticky throttle from idle is usually caused by carbon/sludge buildup in the throttle body. Run the right side of the RAV up onto blocks, or jack the right side up, so it leans down to the left. Take off the intake duct to gain access to the throttle body. Place a rag under the opening because icky stuff is going to out when you start spraying. Spray throttle-body cleaner (probably not carb cleaner, but something that says for throttle bodies) into it. You can wipe out some of the gunk, too. Keep spraying and working the butterfly until it opens smoothly, and black stuff stops coming out.

While you might also have a problem with the cable, that's not usually the problem. WD40 is a bad idea, and probably trying to service the cable in any other way is a bad idea. If it's really bad, just replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts