Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to do something about the throttle sensitivity on my 2010, 4 cylinder. It's way too touchy for my tastes.

I've no need to change the transmission shift points; I just don't want it to jump off the line.

The best possible solutions so far are: 1) installation of an aftermarket throttle controller, 2) cleaning of the throttle body, and 3) checking which accelerator pedal I have. My thanks to those who posted that information. :)

Checking the accelerator pedal manufacturer is the obvious first step, because if it's not the Denso then it could be one of the repaired units that people didn't like after the recall repair.

Cleaning the throttle body is the proper second step, but given that my RAV4 is in good shape and I find almost all cars these days to have touchy throttles, there's some doubt as to how much it will help.

It's possible I'll just get used to it, but right now I'm doubtful.

The aftermarket throttle controller seems OK, and it may come to that, but for various reasons I'd like it to be a last resort. For one thing, it seems like overkill for such a small complaint, and I don't expect to be messing around with the pedal behavior ever again once it's working the way I want it to.

After scouring this forum and the web for possible solutions, there are three I didn't see, so I thought maybe members here would have heard something.

Those three are:
1) Using an accelerator pedal from another Toyota
2) Installing a resistor or some other small, simple, passive electronic element in the pedal harness
3) Modifying one or more variables in the ECU

Have any of you seen information on these approaches? It's not surprising that this information is rare, because it seems like it would be pretty technical. But I also feel it would be doable by a shade-tree mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
This is the very first post I've seen on this with a 4 cylinder engine. There were scads of similar complaints with the V-6. It IS touchy and I love it. We just learned to drive with the sensitive V-6 throttles and got used to it. It only took a very short time, a few days.

I've no idea how you could "fix" it to your liking though.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
May I suggest an alternative? Leave it all alone. Your foot will learn to accommodate the accelerator.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We have the V6 and it is touchy but we both got used to it. I do find it a bit of an issue when I haven't driven in awhile. I do not think this is a mechanical issue but a software issue. Your most definitive solution will probably be the aftermarket throttle controller. Do I think there is a cheaper way? I do, but without truly looking into it, I can offer no advice. I would start with looking to find what controls the throttle exactly. It could be as simple as replacing a throttle sensor with one from another car but I really, really don't recall. I know I've taken a look at the schematics before, but that was back in 2010 and I've long since forgotten.

TLDR? I am no help. Good luck. ;)

Reactions: puzzlepiece

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@RTexasF - It's good to know that this is the first complaint you've seen on a four cylinder. I hadn't noticed that about the posters' vehicles. It helps me believe that either I will get used to it, or that a dirty throttle is a greater probability.

I can appreciate your love for the V6. It's what I originally wanted, because my last car was a V6 -- and it was great. Seeing that the V6 can propel the RAV4 shape to 140 mph is very impressive. And it's even more impressive that the truck chassis is stable at that speed.

When I bought this car/truck the V6 just wasn't in the cards, but actually for how I drive it, the four-cylinder is pretty darn good. I have been surprised at how far technology has come compared to my past 4-cylinder vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@pico - That's good advice. I shouldn't be so impatient. People are incredibly good at getting used to things. Still, I get carried away by the challenge of a slick technical solution.

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
I'd like to do something about the throttle sensitivity on my 2010, 4 cylinder. It's way too touchy for my tastes.

I've no need to change the transmission shift points; I just don't want it to jump off the line.

The best possible solutions so far are: 1) installation of an aftermarket throttle controller, 2) cleaning of the throttle body, and 3) checking which accelerator pedal I have. My thanks to those who posted that information.

The aftermarket throttle controller seems OK, and it may come to that, but for various reasons I'd like it to be a last resort.

After scouring this forum and the web for possible solutions, there are three I didn't see, so I thought maybe members here would have heard something.

Those three are:
1) Using an accelerator pedal from another Toyota
2) Installing a resistor or some other small, simple, passive electronic element in the pedal harness
3) Modifying one or more variables in the ECU
So, you have six possibilities.
1) An aftermarket controller, actually a voltage curve modifier, is probably what it'll take to adjust the response the way you like.
2) I don't think cleaning the TB will do anything unless it's gummed up enough to actually be sticking closed and then "pops" open. I'd think that could be checked while parked with the intake hose off.
3) I doubt you have the "wrong" pedal but that doesn't mean yours isn't defective.
4) A pedal from another Toyota might work but how would you find the right one?
5) The EE in me would go for this resistor one but if your pedal is defective how long would it last. Also applies to #1.
6) ECU mods. If we had a way to do that there are a whole lot of variables I'd love to mess with.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I don't recall any other complaints about throttle sensitivity in a third generation, 4-cyl. RAV. There have been some about the V6's throttle. Somewhere on this forum I seem to recall that a member was able to devise a method for adjusting throttle operation for the V6 - maybe it would also work for the 4, but if I recall it involved some re-engineering and tweaking. It's probably much simpler to get used to the throttle operation as it is, but with my V6 there are still occasional moments when the unintended (easy to forget to be careful, especially when just coming from driving another vehicle with a less sensitive throttle) quick launch from stop could be problematic in congested traffic situations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Blogson - This is one of the posts regarding throttle control: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/103361-i-throttle-rocks.html Is it the one you are thinking of? It appears from an internet search that a single company manufactures the underlying electronics, then sells the kit to multiple manufacturers for rebranding, the Weapon-R I-Throttle being one of those brands. Installation is very straightforward; you just unplug the accelerator pedal and plug in the I-Throttle between the pedal and the car. Calibration to the pedal takes just a minute.

@Dr. Dyno - It turns out I have the Denso pedal, which seems to eliminate the possibility its actuation is an issue. The signal from the pedal seems to be a simple hall-effect sensor, so maybe the sensor can be modified or influenced in some way -- perhaps some adjustable way. As far as the ECU goes, some people have been able to gain access to the car's computer, but I've yet to identify a source explaining all the possible settings that can be changed, or what they might be changed to for various effects.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've cured this on our '11 Rav4 4-banger by regularly cleaning the throttle body. I think the butterfly valve gets sticky causing you to press harder to release it and then the car kind of jumps. Seems to need a good spray out once every 20-25K miles to take care of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@WJBertrand - So, maybe not all the 4's do it, but some do. Yes, sometimes I pull away smoothly, but sometimes it seems to hesitate, then jump. My 2010 has 107k and I don't know its full history, so it's worth investigating.

A quick search produced at least these three links providing instructions for cleaning the throttle body. Seems straightforward.

How To: Clean your throttle body - CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community

DIY 2AZFE Throttle Cleaning Gen 5, Gen 5.5, Gen 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

[FONT=&quot]http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/81003-how-clean-throttle-body-w-o-removing-completely.html[/FONT]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts