Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had to clean the throttle butterfly valve numerous times over the years, I was wondering if I should be removing the throttle position sensor and adding some silicone lube the other side too (presumably the "axle" passes all the way through into the sensor).

Anyone have idea of whether this is a good thing to do, or will the sensor not take kindly to being dismantled??

Thanks,

- Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I wouldn't recommend removing the TPS at all....

Most people clean the throttlebody by using spray can cleaners and spraying into the intake tract or by removing the intake hose and spraying in the throttle body.. Most auto parts sell throttlebody cleaners or carburetor cleaners, etc... I would make sure you check the label for it's instructions and uses before purchasing one...

I have to goto my friend's shop as well since he recommended I have mine cleaned.... maybe I will go sometime this coming week and update you if you haven't already cleaned yours...

--DJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DJ,

I've just done my "standard" clean and everything is moving smoothly again - carb cleaner into the throttle body and a squirt of silicone lube onto the pivots. This time I also used my motorbike cable oiler to lube the throttle cable itself inside its sheath. Silky smooth action!

Guess we'll see how long it lasts this time until it needs doing again...

- Paul

·
Registered
881 Posts
paulbeaney said:
Hi DJ,

I've just done my "standard" clean and everything is moving smoothly again - carb cleaner into the throttle body and a squirt of silicone lube onto the pivots. This time I also used my motorbike cable oiler to lube the throttle cable itself inside its sheath. Silky smooth action!

Guess we'll see how long it lasts this time until it needs doing again...

- Paul
You really shouldn't use carb cleaner on the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner next time. To clean mine I took the valve right off and cleaned it with a tooth brush and did the same the best I could inside the body itself before running a can of cleaner through it with the engine running. Not something I recommend doing indoors, or down wind :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi tankd0g,

tankd0g said:
You really shouldn't use carb cleaner on the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner next time.
Ah, didn't know such a thing existed. Will look next time I'm at the car accessories shop.

tankd0g said:
To clean mine I took the valve right off...
Do you mean literally just the butterfly valve or the whole throttle assembly? Either way, can you explain how you did that it?

Thanks,

- Paul

·
Registered
881 Posts
paulbeaney said:
Hi tankd0g,

tankd0g said:
You really shouldn't use carb cleaner on the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner next time.
Ah, didn't know such a thing existed. Will look next time I'm at the car accessories shop.

tankd0g said:
To clean mine I took the valve right off...
Do you mean literally just the butterfly valve or the whole throttle assembly? Either way, can you explain how you did that it?

Thanks,

- Paul
Yes I mean the whole assembly, it's only 3 or 4 bolts and a few vaccuum hoses. Tag everything you remove with masking tape and you can't go wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts