Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WooHoo!!!

My mad diagnostics skills (throwing parts at a problem) has finally paid off!

Went to the dealership and got a free ignition diag done on the RAV. They ran every test that they could thing of, and nada. Nothing. Which didn't surprise me, considering all the new components in the ignition system now. They said it had to be mechanical, in the fuel delivery system.

So I checked both the feed lines and return lines for kinks or other obstructions. As I had just replaced the fuel filter again the day earlier, and all the lines looked good in a visual inspection, I had no other option but to pull the pump/sender unit to see if there was anything to see.

Well, there was. A new pump as I had been told, but a seriously rusted tank, and a completely clogged strainer 'sock'. I disassembled the whole unit, and cleaned everything with throttle body cleaner. What a mess. Reassembled the unit and put everything back together, sans the rear left seat, and she runs beautifully!

Now I need to determine whether I need to buy a new tank, or attempt to clean this one. There are no holes or leaks as far as I can tell.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
A new tank might be best but for me three major considerations would be

1. How safe and easy is it to clean the old tank?

2. How much for a new tank compared with a second hand one?

3. How long will you be keeping the vehicle?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is the tank rusty? If so then replace it, or is it the fuel filler pipe from the fuel cap to the tank, these rust like crazy due to dirt getting caught between it and the plastic cover, maybe the rust is from this? Just a thought!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Is the tank rusty? If so then replace it, or is it the fuel filler pipe from the fuel cap to the tank, these rust like crazy due to dirt getting caught between it and the plastic cover, maybe the rust is from this? Just a thought!
Nah, the tank is hosed. Definite heavy coating of rust on all surfaces inside. I looked in through the pump/sender unit hole after I removed the unit, and the tank is a mess inside. It appears that the RAV sat for a LONG while before it was passed on to me.

No worries, I'll stop by the Pick-a-Part this week and look at the tanks in the two RAVs they have on lot. If one of those tanks are in good shape, it mine. I'll clean it good and replace the strainer sock, in-tank filter, and the fuel filter under the hood again. Should be good as gold when I finish.

The $20.00 cost for the used one is worth my time, as it's a little harder to come up with the $249.00 for a new one just now. But I'll do a good job, as this is gonna be a long time ownership for me.

Next project will be going through all the mounts and replacing as necessary.

I'll keep this thread updated on the tank issue until completed.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. This ghost I was chasing just about did me in!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Uniform rust in the tank could be from a fuel accident, diesel fuel will strip the galvanizing off the inside of the steel tank allowing it to rust. I hope they replaced the pump at the time of the fuel mix-up and not after the tank was already rusty.

I replaced my fuel pump last month and I was very happy to how bright and clean the inside of my tank looked. Didn't even find any dirt or junk in the tank. Hope you find a good one at the pick and pull!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Uniform rust in the tank could be from a fuel accident, diesel fuel will strip the galvanizing off the inside of the steel tank allowing it to rust. I hope they replaced the pump at the time of the fuel mix-up and not after the tank was already rusty.

Hope you find a good one at the pick and pull!
From the looks of things, the fuel pump was replaced just before a previous owner dumped the car on another buyer, which I then got it from him. I truly believe both knew of the condition of the tank before letting this RAV go.

Again, no worries, as I got a great deal on this RAV because of it, and I'm perfectly willing and able to make things right.

:wink

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I got the new/used tank in today. Got one from a local salvage yard that was in perfect shape.

I had to throw away the fuel that was in the old tank. It was gross. Looked like swamp water in there, with at least a quarter inch of sediment in the cell where the pump goes.

I'll know if all was a success tomorrow morning when I drive my 35 mile trek to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh yeah, and I'm stopping by that salvage yard this weekend and look over the two 96 two door RAVs he has on lot. I hope one of them is a standard shift, as I need the ring that holds down the shifter boot. That, and a rear marker light lens. And whatever else that catches my eye...

Fingers crossed for a great day at the junkyard!

-Anafiel

21 - 28 of 28 Posts