Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Success!! :D

This is Thule 934XT Hitching Post Pro 4 -- completely stock model, no extensions or adapters in use. I'm sure the 2 and 5 versions and their Expressway will hang just as well off of a hitch receiver, since they're based on the same basic design.

Attached, it's well behind the spare tire cover and has absolutely zero chance of impacting any part of the RAV -- there's a good 8"-9" gap, even accounting for wobble.

Folding down the upright does not normally allow the rear door to swing wide open, but if you push down just enough, it'll clear the door -- just remember to not throw the door wide open or you'll crack the corner of the door into the rack frame. The door clears the short upright just fine.

R

·
0 Posts
Excellent and useful post!!!

Any plans to mount a 48” wide cargo tray into your hitch receiver to sometime haul coolers and stuff. That’s much better than on the roof rack...getting you worse gas mileage.

IMHO = Everybody should install a hitch receiver even if you never install trailer wiring. It’s such an easy DIY project!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finally! I hate to admit it, but I was not going to get one before someone else did. Thank you!

PS, where did you get your hitch and bike rack?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the hitch from etrailer for $132.95 + shipping (website says $0.99 for today if your order's over $150) -- it's a Hidden Hitch 70785. For those that don't know, the Hidden Hitch, Reese and the Draw-Tite hitches are completely identical -- they're owned by the same parent company, Cequent. I noticed that Valley Industries also has a RAV4 hitch listed at etrailer... Going by the PDF installation document, it looks exactly like the others.

The bike rack came from SummitOnline and was the best deal I could find anywhere at $159.95 with free shipping (retail is $199.95).

S

·
0 Posts
karrock said:
I noticed that Valley Industries also has a RAV4 hitch listed at etrailer... Going by the PDF installation document, it looks exactly like the others.
No the Valley hitch has a step plate on the top of the hitch receiver, longer sides w/fold reinforcement and doesn't have the ugly off center tab (for wiring I assume?). I would go for the Valley myself as I only use my hitch for a bike rack...

·
Registered
652 Posts
karrock how long did it take you to get your hitch from etrailer?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered it on 3/11 and I had the hitch on the 16th. The rack took about the same time -- ordered on 4/1, received on the 7th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts