Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just found this forum and joined. Does anyone have ideas about the safest way to tie down my kayak on the top of my 2008 Rav4. No metal loops underneath the front, so my husbands idea was to hook the loop prongs to the roof rack (there are small holes on the poles front and back cross poles).

I'm not thinking this is too safe. I'm almost going to see if it's just easier to fit my 10ft kayak INSIDE! (Brought it home that way but the front tip had to go out the passenger window) :(

Suggestions???

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
That post sent me out to check my tool kit, which I hadn't looked at since I bought my RAV and couldn't remember what is in it. Yep - one tow hook is included.

Reactions: Finssup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine second hand - don't even think I have a tool kit. I will look next time I go out. by pulling the passenger seat right up, and taking the head rest off, then reclining it back as far as it goes, my kayak fits inside easy peasy (much easier than loading it onto the roof by myself), so I may just be doing that when I go out with it!

Thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I bought mine second hand - don't even think I have a tool kit. I will look next time I go out. by pulling the passenger seat right up, and taking the head rest off, then reclining it back as far as it goes, my kayak fits inside easy peasy (much easier than loading it onto the roof by myself), so I may just be doing that when I go out with it!

Thanks folks!
You have a solution! Good. Enjoy your kayak.

But for a nice surprise, open the compartments behind your tail lights - from the inside - there are helpful things there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look in there too! I think that's where my wheel lock was, but I haven't looked much past that

:p

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a 9 foot ish kayak. I just strap it to the cross bar and do nothing with the tip.

I seem that I was the first to reply on the linked thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Thanks folks!
I will pick up a 10'4'' kayak this weekend. Hopefully, it going to be fit inside the Rav4. I'll bring straps along just in case.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I will pick up a 10'4'' kayak this weekend. Hopefully, it going to be fit inside the Rav4. I'll bring straps along just in case.
Be sure to spread the cross bars as far apart as they will go. As I said I typically only use 2 straps on the cross bars and do not secure the tip. This is because I do not travel far or fast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I picked up the kayak last Saturday. It did fit inside the RAV4, I put it on the roof and tied down to the cross bars. The ride home was smooth no concerns at all. I travel only 45mph for 10 miles. Next time going out i'll tie down the bow and stern as well, for peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I picked up the kayak last Saturday. It did fit inside the RAV4, I put it on the roof and tied down to the cross bars. The ride home was smooth no concerns at all. I travel only 45mph for 10 miles. Next time going out i'll tie down the bow and stern as well, for peace of mind. :)
For some reason I'm confused.....you say it did fit inside but you put it on the roof.:confused:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Probably was able to fit it inside, But put it on the roof cause driving around with a 10 foot kayak inside you car is stupid.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Probably was able to fit it inside, But put it on the roof cause driving around with a 10 foot kayak inside you car is stupid.
I just stuck a tape measure inside the rear door and from the dash to the back door is about 8ft and change. Can't see a 10ft anything in there without leaving the back door open.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry for the confusion, guys. The kayak did not fit inside the RAV4. My bad. :(

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
It would be best in the future to get a proper kayak roof carrier such as a j cross bar carrier. My wife has 2 similar ones (2 sets) on her Subaru Outback. She carries 2 large kayaks at a time. Others I heard say the RAV4 curve cross bar makes it hard to secure these using these types of j carriers so you may need to get a flat and wide roof rack. You should be able to put one on next to the factory one.

On the highway the wind can cause severe wind pressure to the kayak and if it is not secured it can fall out causing damage to other vehicles or even kill someone. It is something you should think about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We have a tandem 2 person kayak that is really long. I bought the Kayak hauling kit from Academy Sports for about 25 bucks that has two v shaped pads that fit perfectly on the rails and two tie down straps and front and rear ropes. I bought an extra tow hook so I have two in the front all the time and I like the macho looks. I tie the front of the Yak to one hook and the back of the Yak to my trailer hitch and can drive 80 mph in heavy wind and not worry about a thing. I like having the front tied down to the tow hook because I can watch the rope and know that everything on top is just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts