Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for a new water pump on my 2000. This one only lasted for a year. But it has a "lifetime warranty" So I will take it back for a refund!!! This one will have to be done a week sooner than last year so hpefully I will miss the ice storm they had in Vancouver last year. Also going to replace the crank seal this time. They go out at about 280,000 miles.
New pump, timing belt, idler bearings, seal, other belts, and taking my brother who helps out to dinner, about $230 usd.
This last pump only lasted 90,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Wish I had a brother who could help me out! That's a pretty good price for all that work :D 90k seems about normal for the 4.1 water pumps. Mine's beginning to RATTLE again... on COLD starts :cry: No leaks... just a rattle. I've got about 80k on my second pump.

Weather has been GOOD here in Vancouver. We had a brief ICE STORM last Sunday... but have been close to 50 degrees ever since :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kelly,
You will have to get adopted into our family. This will be our fourth RAV4 water pump replacement. He has an awsome shop at his place. More tools there than he has at work. I still can't get my car into my garage at home since we moved in.
One thing we need to replace this time is that phillips head screw on the bottom of the water pump, after taking it out a couple times the head starts to get stripped.
Takes us about 3-4 hours, but we drink a lot of coffee in that time too!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Stelly : Are you saying that the "first start up of the day rattling" is actually the water pump getting ready to fail ??

My 2000 does this and is reaching the 90K range .
The noise goes away after about a minute and a half
and seems to be more prevelant in the winter weather .

Have you been using OEM water pumps or after market ?
If after market , what kind ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that first start up rattle that goes away after a minute or two is the water pump going out. None of mine have ever leaked but the first one that I didn't pay attention to froze up and took the timing belt out.
I have been using aftermarket pumps. This time I am going with a Cardone pump that has roller instead of ball bearings. They say it will last longer. I will know next year afer I get another 80,000 miles on.
You need to also replace the timing belt and the idler and tensioner bearings. My crank seals been lasting past 200,000 miles but they are cheep so while you have it apart that far you might as well replace it too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
O.K. it appears that the stock water pump is a piece of crap , so my next question is what fails in it ?
Judging from the previous posts , it sounds like their bearings are at fault (ball bearings).
Coolant wise , do they do the job as far as containing it's fluids ?
Do all after market pumps use tapered roller bearings ?

Questions , questions , questions .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of my pumps ever leaked, just the bearings that went out. Some aftermarket have ball bearings and some roller. The ones with roller bearings are a little more expensive.
My '98 is still on the stock idler bearings but my 2000 has had them replaced and I will replace them again this weekend when the pump is replaced.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just found a water pump at NAPA for $77 Can. (part #1436) that has a lifetime warranty .
The Toyota one is $81.50 with a one year warranty .
The NAPA timing belt is $18 (part #250302-99) while the Toyota one is $56.50 :shock:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry , NAPA gave me the wrong belt (no wonder it was cheap)
They gave me the alt belt .

Stelly : Have you finished your pump and pictures yet ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts