Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything is running okay, but the differential left side shaft seal is leaking badly (as you can see from the photo) and the front pinion seal is oozing, see photo https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaWjJyc0trVzRDMGM. So today, I pull the differential to make the following repairs and maintenance:

- Take photos of each step and post here
- Pull the differential
- Replace pinion seal
- Replace shaft seals
- Replace C-clip (that holds the shafts on)
- Replace gasket
- Defunk the belly and undercoat the it to the rear of the fuel tank, that will only leave the area above the fuel tank for a later job
- Defunk and paint the differential
- Replace the bushings in the front mount
- Replace the rear mount

The rear suspension arms and bushings look okay, even if they have a problem they will have to wait.

Anyone have any pointers, anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Upgrade to LSD?

Looks like it has been leaking for some time. You will feel better, when that is cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Upgrade to LSD?

Looks like it has been leaking for some time. You will feel better, when that is cleaned up.
If I could find an LSD and funds allowed it I would in a heartbeat. Yes, I will feel a lot better when she no longer leaks. Today I got all but the front mount broke free, those #!?##!!! front mount bolts are being difficult. If I have to, I'll drop the fuel tank to get better access but I really don't want to go there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just pulled a rear differential today. Front mount bolts I use a 3/8" drive chrome wobble 17mm socket on extension for passenger side. I use a long box end 0 offset 17mm for the driver side.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Tom, I finally got the bolts loose from the front differential mount after breaking a 3/8" ratchet, I broke the ratchet head right off! I ended up using a torch to heat the bolts to get them to break free. All of them had thread lock completely covering the threads. One of the bolts on the differential cover refused to break, finally I got it after heating it with a torch, the bolt head stripped any way, cut new wrench flats and then it came out with a high power pneumatic impact wrench. It was obvious someone had been inside the differential before me, over torquing everything. I wonder if someone replaced that right shaft seal that isn't leaking and didn't bother to change the others, I'll see tomorrow what's up, of course it could have just been leaky cover sealant.
I cleaned the vent somewhat, but I'm going to make sure it's thoroughly clean before putting it back together.
I believe I'll get the seals all changed out tomorrow and get it resealed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine was clean underneath and never touched... those front mount bolts are tight considering the tools that fit past the shield for fuel tank. Glad you got the differential out! I used oem seals and used the orange Toyota fipg sealant for the cover. I changed my pinion seal when I swapped in my Torsen and bearings. If you have any questions just ask! I just went through all of this work a month ago, and somebody just drove in front of my RAV4 a week and a half ago. It is a total loss, so now I need a super clean one again!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine was clean underneath and never touched... those front mount bolts are tight considering the tools that fit past the shield for fuel tank. Glad you got the differential out! I used oem seals and used the orange Toyota fipg sealant for the cover. I changed my pinion seal when I swapped in my Torsen and bearings. If you have any questions just ask! I just went through all of this work a month ago, and somebody just drove in front of my RAV4 a week and a half ago. It is a total loss, so now I need a super clean one again!
Wow! Hope everyone and the torsen are OK.

That sucks that you have to find another one. I hope you find one you like better.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope no one was hurt in the accident, cars can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to chauffeur mom to doctor appointments so I didn't accomplish much today. I got the clips off the shafts and pulled the shafts, it appeared that both seals were original equipment so maybe no one had been inside the differential before. Everything else appeared to be in good shape. Tomorrow I should have all day to pop the seals out and get her back together.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone is semi-well again so I'm back on the project.
I'm pulling the fuel tank so I can pull the forward mount to replace the rotted bushings.
Finished with the seals corrosion control and painting of the differential.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did finish the project and here are some photos.

Here is a before photo showing the wet area where a wheel seal was leaking:

The bad axle seal:

The bad pinion seal:

Differential with cover off:

Hook tool to remove c-clips:

My improvised seal driver:

Differential back place after repairs, corrosion control, and painting:

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realized I never finished posting how I did this job.

- Support rear end with jack stands and chock tires
- Remove the fill plug (you do this first because it can be quite difficult to remove)
- Remove the drain plug and drain the fluid
- Remove the rear differential mount
- Remove the rear cover
- Mark the rear axles and side gear shafts so that you know how to align them when reassembling
- Unbolt and support the axles
- Pull the side gear shaft retaining C clips from inside the differential, a hook shaped tool is handy for this
- Pull the side gear shafts
- Remove old seals
- To install new seal
-- Lightly sand with very find sandpaper the inside area where the seal contacts the differential, thoroughly clean
-- Lubricate the area
-- Lubricate and install new seal
-- Ensure the side shafts are clean
- Put it all back together
-- When sealing rear cover loosely bolt cover on wait 20 minutes and torque to specifications

Materials needed
- Seals replace both sides at the same time
- Retaining C clips
- Sealant that is good for gear oil like Permatex Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker
- Rear differential mount

This is good time to replace the rear differential mount
Check the front bushings as well.

If the mounts/bushings are bad and you don't replace them it will cause damage.

None of this is very difficult and will only take several hours to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts