Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's getting time to replace our '13 Rav4 since it has over 100k miles on it. It has become our main driver so while I'm sure it has another 100k let in it we want to replace it. The wife loves the Rav4 so I don't see us looking at anything else. Since the Hybrid wasn't an option back then but is now it's on the list. I'm not sure why Toyota limits the colors offered, that's kind of disappointing but I'm sure we'll find a couple colors we like.

I do have a question. The first is that it lists a mechanical locking differential. I assume that is for the front wheels since the rear wheels are driven off of the electric motor. One of the places that the '13 lacked was getting up our driveway in the winter when we had a foot or so of snowfall. This is where the Subaru shined (it had too many other short comes to even be on the list). It took a few times before I just got into the habit of turning off traction and stability control. If I spun the wheels to dig my way up the awd system would quickly overheat and shut off. As far as I know the '13 just has an open differential between the front wheels (side to side). I would think adding a mechanical locking diff in the front would actually help. Do the '16 hybrids also have this? I don't remember reading it in the specs last year.

I'm debating waiting until November and see what the Adventure offers. It sounds like it will also have a locking diff on the 2wd model and something called dynamic torque control on the awd model. Not sure exactly what that is (I really haven't looked yet. The wife demands heated seats so I'm limited.

·
Registered
324 Posts
AWD RAV4 hybrids do not have a locking diff. I am not sure where this was written but it is incorrect. There is no physical connection between the front and back wheels, there is 2 independent electric motors. I had a 2015 AWD gas RAV4 before my hybrid and haven't experienced a need for a locking diff. I have a steep driveway and despite having no 50/50 power split, I have no issues.

The colour choices are limited on the hybrid as the vehicle is imported from Japan. Other models are made in North America so a few more choices are available.

If you need a true AWD vehicle for steep terrain in muddy or icy conditions, the hybrid isn't what you're looking for. If you drive in some snow and ice in the city or rural areas, it would be fine. My suggestion is to try out both in late fall/early winter to see which one meets your needs. The 2017 is much improved in terms of ride quality and sound deadening.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm debating waiting until November and see what the Adventure offers. It sounds like it will also have a locking diff on the 2wd model and something called dynamic torque control on the awd model. Not sure exactly what that is (I really haven't looked yet. The wife demands heated seats so I'm limited.
'13 owner here as well. I'm personally waiting to see what Adventure brings to the game but won't do anything about it til next year at the earliest.

It sounds to me like you wouldn't mind checking Adventure out too. November is not that far away, I'd wait if I were you, unless you know there is an expensive repair or service item coming up and you need something to replace it with *right now*. My .02.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MTL_Sienna this wouldn't be a front to back locking diff but a center diff either between the two front wheels (like the FWD models have) or in the electric motor to share power between the rear wheels. Every dealer that I have looked at so far lists it as a standard item for the hybrid. Each one says "mechanical locking differential". The FWD lists an automatic locking differential. I'll ask the dealer but was hoping to know the answer ahead of time.

It'll be probably the end of September before we do anything. By then I'm hoping details on the Adventure are released. My hopes are slightly more ground clearance, an AWD system that's closer in performance to a Subaru, and heated seats (otherwise the wife will not sign off on it).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I moved from a 2013 RAV4 XLE to a 2017 Limited Hybrid in January. We had a couple of decent storms after that before Spring, and the new one did seem better in the snow. However, the 2013 was no slouch.

Admittedly, I never tried to go into a driveway with a foot of snow in it already. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts