Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has GOT to be the newbe question winner of the year, but I just don't get it.

How does one adjust the ignition timing on a 2.0 1996 RAV4? I mean, using a timing light on this thing?

I've been adjusting timing by the marks with a light on Fords and Chevys since I was 16, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find any info on adjusting the timing on this new-to-me vehicle.

My 92 Ford Bronco requires that you remove a certain plug before a timing check to make sure that timing isn't advanced while using the light. It's like pulling the vacuum advance line from older engines.

What is required, and procedure, for checking and adjusting timing on this beast??

Thanks in 'advance' for answering my stupid question!

-Anafiel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, I knew it was a stupid question, but could someone give me a hand with this? I have a new dist coming in the mail tomorrow, and I'm good with the whole installation, but I'm stumped at the timing issue above.

Please?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so after scouring the Interwebs (LOL) it seems that initial and advance timing is controlled by the ECU via the crankshaft position sensor. Is this correct?

So I don't have to set timing by using a light and marks?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Yeah, I'm no expert but I thought timing on modern cars was controlled by the computer (ECM). Not much you can do with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts