Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Rav4 1997 Automatic 4WD - White
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,,

Brand new belt, the what so called "mechanic" did not installed: Timing belt kit. And still payed him. Welcome To Costa Rica.. :(:mad:

Bought the belt, harmonic balancer and engine support, but when I install the belt the way all videos show, there's still some looseness between the camshaft and the water pump. I'm new in replacing timing belts.. but doesn't supposed to be very tensioned between 3 points the cam, water pump and the Crank. The slack will be picked up by the tensioner pulley.

I tried putting a nut between the crankshaft and body to break the movement, but every time the nut felt..

Makes the same sound I took the car for in the first place to the mechanic.. other than the car does not start on the first key turn,, it does after several tries (old issue trying to figure out on a different thread.

Thanks, please let me know how to do this right.. My friend did this at his house, when we found out the belt was the old one, and spring also was the old one..

btw = I have not replaced the spring.. because my friend was able to eliminate that looseness but he want's to charge me again like if it's replaced entirely.. he's being a jerk.

Good day!

Registered
What brand belt and other parts are being used?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Bosh Brand Belt, spring I used the same. And New harmonic balancer.

Thanks for responding LugNut!

Miles

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
What I can do, is buy a new tension spring and reinstall belt. And let you know if this could be causing the noise of a loose belt.

After vehicle reaches it's hot condition, the belt noise is less..

Best,

Miles

Registered
You can make the belt tighter using a pry bar to move the tensioner up. Loosen the bolt, pry the tensioner up, tighten the bolt. People say you should be able to turn the belt around 90潞 after is tight, no more. To get the perfect right tension is a bit tricky.

Or off course, buy a new spring.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
You can make the belt tighter using a pry bar to move the tensioner up. Loosen the bolt, pry the tensioner up, tighten the bolt. People say you should be able to turn the belt around 90潞 after is tight, no more. To get the perfect right tension is a bit tricky.

Or off course, buy a new spring.
Excellent reply "room217" I will try this as soon as I can!

I'm standing by the coil as it's on the way from auto parts.

I also have to replace the VSV Soleinoid,, which has been with the code P0401 since I bought the car. 10 years ago.

I will post all findings so no one else go trough what I am experiencing as most people will fool you thinking is a bad tensioner, bad belt.. etc. All just to steal your money. These days money is Gold,, a lot here are unemployed..

Be safe members!

Miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts