Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm glad to see the forum back up and running. I am getting ready change the timing belt and water pump on my rav in the next month or so. I plan on changing the hoses and drive belts as well as the t-belt idler pulleys and springs. Is there anything else I should do while I'm at it. Also, if you have done this yourself, I would greatly appreciate any tips I get started. The arrangement doesn't look much different than my old corolla 4afe engine, just a little less room to work in. Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
For starters here are some that you might need. While your at it you should consider upgrading the water pump and the oil pump. RAV4.1 water pump tend to act up after a while. More oil presure always is good. Your RAV4 has an out standing track record regarding durability, help it.

I found them at Summit Racing for a great price. As low as $7.00 with Goodyear quality. These are for the Alternator, Power Steering, and A/C.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. This is my wife's vehicle and the water pump is already starting to complain. She loves this car and I am trying to make it last as long as possible(it has 113,000 mi). I am also thinking of changing the oil in the transfer case and rear diff. Anyone have any opinions on what to replace it with? I was thinking of going synthetic. Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
176 Posts
With 113,000 miles I would say don't wait too long. I did on my '98 and could have used the towing money for something better. My 2000 has 84,000 on it and it is getting a new pump and belt asap. It is starting to make noise. The only thing that a good thing is when the pump freezes up and takes the belt with it - this is a no interference engine......

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plee,
When I changed the fluids a little while back I used RedLine 75w90 in the rear diff and RedLine 75w90NS (without the limited slip additive) in the tranny.

My wife is also the main driver of our RAV and she really likes it. We currently have 98k on the clock of our 1997...that means we put 21k miles on in the last 10 months...neato...

I've got to perform a tune up at some point in the near future and prolly brakes in the spring...no biggie...

Bogatyr

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mensajero said:
For starters here are some that you might need. While your at it you should consider upgrading the water pump and the oil pump. RAV4.1 water pump tend to act up after a while. More oil presure always is good. Your RAV4 has an out standing track record regarding durability, help it.
You don't need to replace the oil pump unless it's REALLY NEEDED. The oil pump is located at the bottom of our '3S' block and can't be accessed unless it's physically removed from the engine bay. Unless you wanna remove the entire sump assembly in the process.... :roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
tomorrow morning my 2000 will get a new timing belt, idler bearings, water pump, and alt, power steering belts. 87,000 miles and the water pump is making noise - time to do it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
That may not be a bad price for the timing belt and labor. BUT, my parts including the belt were over $220.00. The water pump and idler bearings should always be replaced at the same time. And other belts. I would never just replace the timing belt!!! Did that once and learned the hard way when I was having it towed about 15,000 miles later to have the water pump replaced after it seezed up and took out the timing belt.
just my thoughts...... :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts