Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 Rav 4 runs like a top, no problems. It is approaching 100k miles. I noticed in the paper that the local Toyota dealer is having a special on timing belt replacements...$298.00. I called them and the services advisor stated that they also recommend that while this is being done that they also change the water pump, pulleys, tensioners, seals, etc. etc. So, the $298.00 special comes to just over $950.00....what a deal.

Questions: Do I need to change the belt and if I do, do I need to change all of the other stuff. I know there is a chance of breaking, but that is always a possibility and it seems once the dealer starts changing stuff, it just continues.

Advice would be apprecieated.

TK

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TKHawaii,
Wow, that's pretty pricey.

We had ours done at the local independent shop that we've been going to for years. The bill for the tbelt, thermostat, water pump and drive belts was $574...so you can do better if you shop around.

Since the RAV doesn't have an interference engine, if the belt snaps, you won't damage the engine...but really, who needs the headache of it when you can just have it done...take care of it and be done for about another 100k...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
176 Posts
That seems like a lot, but they do charge a lot for labor.
The belts I have changed still looked good, but I am very hesitant on running a water pump any more than that. Especially since I had one freeze up and take out the timing belt. Towing for a AWD is not cheep.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
With all this water pump & timing belt discussion lately, I'm curious how the point that people are choosing to replace these things compares with Toyota's recommendation. Here in Canada for '98 and later vehicles Toyota says change the timing belt every 150,000 km (93,000 miles) or 6 years. Is this more or less the mileage or time frame those of you who have done it are using?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
parts replacement

It's a shame how a water pump is not 'expected' to last even 100,000kms.. You'd figure with Toyota you shouldn't have to mess with these things. But sadly its seems the newer cars are starting to reduce in life span. Replacing engine parts (some major) is getting all too routine. Then you see rip offs like Timing belt replacement special $300, but really you're changing much more for even more $$$.
More commonly, I'm seeing people doing these replacements just because X number of kms has passed (and its not even recommended by Toyota, but the Mechanic sure recommends it!) And there's surely risks with changing things that aren't broken - OTHER THINGS GO WRONG AND YOU KEEP COMING BACK as someone mentioned.

btw, I had my timing belt done, the dealer 'recommended' to change the water pump, I said skip it. Figners crossed!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they also recommend that while this is being done that they also change the water pump, pulleys, tensioners, seals, etc.
Belt, water pump, crank seal and tensioner only. Ask friends for an honest service shop..make friends with the mechanics.

Goodluck!

John

·
Registered
176 Posts
hate to say this, but, I found out the hard way that the pump won't last more than 100,000 miles. Replaced the timing belt and less than 20,000 miles later I was waiting for the tow truck. Since then I replace it all at the same time. Doesn't cost that much more. The pump on my 2000 was gone at 87,000.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, our water pump was starting to make a bit of noise at 75k when we bought the vehicle...so changing this out sooner rather than later is a good thing.

As far as the cost goes, IMO it's really only the cost of the parts when you're paying someone to change the timing belt...changing the pump and tensioner(s) will only take a few minutes on top of the few hundred you're already paying in labor...and to have to tear into the engine again if something fails in a few thousand miles is just silly...

Bogatyr

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a reliable mechanic in my neighborhood. I was able to buy a T-belt kit and a new water pump (with a lifetime guarantee) at NAPA for $166.00 total for both. The mechanic will do the replacements for $280.00 so, this is considerably less than the Toyota Special.

Thank you for all the comments.

TK

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know if using a factory vs. aftermarket belt or tensioners is important? Also is it important to use a HSN vs HTN (aftermarket) belt? Thanks in advance.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used aftermarket belts from NAPA and also a water pump from them, The WP has a lifetime guarantee...wish they would have installed that one when they built the RAV

·
Registered
27 Posts
Autozone quoted $49.99 for a timing belt kit (belt, idler, tensioner) while Napa was $149.45 ($119 with AAA discount). Kragen wanted $103 for the parts separately. I wonder why there's such a wild range in prices. I haven't checked the dealer yet but I can imagine what they'll want.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had my belt changed at the local Toyota dealer on my 98's belt at 100,000KLM's because I've seen what happens when a timing belt fails and takes out the surounding engine parts :( .
When they got most of the way into the repair , they informed me that the water purmp was leaking and needed replacing .
I had noticed earlier that my coolant needed to be topped up constantly so I had no reason to doubt them .
A side note here , belt replacement on A/C equippped Rav's cost more then non A/C Rav's (dealer's words , not mine ) .
It also makes more sense (and $$ ) to do the pump while the belt and related parts are off because if you don't and the pump fails later , you will have to pay to have all of those parts taken off again .
For comparison sakes , here are my parts and labour charges for my repair .

- timing belt (Toyota)..................13568-09041 ..........$ 49.95
- spring ......................................90507-17003...........$ 4.30
- Labour .....................................................................$283.13
-----------
$337.38

-water Pump (Toyota)............16100-79185-83..........$122.30
-coolant .....................................................................$ 13.96
-Labour.......................................................................$ 67.00
----------

$203.26
-----------
TOTAL for both jobs after taxes................................ $621.73

Water Pump

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know if the quality of timing belt kits is critical or not? Again, I'm being quoted $50 - $150 for aftermarket...

& yes, it sounds wise to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my '96 with 70,500 miles on it & 10,000 miles later I'm convinced it never had the timing belt replaced...Don't know if this is overkill but I went all out & purchased new Toyota parts:

tensioner 13505-74001 .........................................................$69.11
idler 13503-63011 ...................................................................40.34
tensioner spring 90507-17003 ...................................................2.09
water pump 16100-79185-83...................................................72.18
crank seal 90080-31022 ............................................................6.29
pwr strg belt 99363-90760-83 ...................................................3.94
AC V-belt 99365-81110-78.......................................................21.39
timing belt 13568-09041..........................................................26.45

TOTAL...................................................................................$254.79

I'm arranging for a local mechanic to do the install for about 200 bucks..

Have I left something out, or done an overkill here? I'm hoping this makes sense...Thanks in advance.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive got one of these coming up, If I were you id probably also get the other seals, Cam Seal, Oil Seal and Oil O Ring

How important is it to replace the tensioner / springs as well as the power steering / AC belts.......?

I was told that you might want to replace the idler bearings, and these come in a kit with your timing belt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts