Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused as to when the timing belt neds changing.

I bought my RAV with 100,000 km on it, and when I asked the salesman if the belt has been changed, he told me they dont ned changing till 160,000 :roll:

Now, form what I have read, Ive seen that 100,000 is recommended.

If the belt does decide to go, does it cause any damage to the engine?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Salesman is a liar as the timing belt has to be changed every 100,000km. It even says this in the service hand book. If the belt goes it wont cause damage coz the 3S-FE is a non interference engine but the car will be undrivable of course. You will have to pay for the tow and the timing belt and labour. Good idea to change the water pump when changing the timing belt as well coz the water pumps on the 3S-FE are piss weak.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the timing belt is covered by the 3 year/60,000 km warranty, so I might wait til the 150k service to do it , seeing as it wont stuff the engine :D

Damn salesman :evil:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I didn't replace my water pump the first time I replaced my timing belt and wished I had done so. 20,000 miles later the pump went out and took out the timing belt.
Since then I replace the belt, water pump and idlers. The crank seal should be replaced also, or at least with the second timing belt, because if you don't about 275,000 miles it will start to leak.
I replace my timing belts, pump, etc, every 90,000 miles and that seems to work well.
The towing with an AWD is a lot more than replacing the pump along with doing the belt! Been there, done that, only once.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stelly said:
I didn't replace my water pump the first time I replaced my timing belt and wished I had done so. 20,000 miles later the pump went out and took out the timing belt.
Since then I replace the belt, water pump and idlers. The crank seal should be replaced also, or at least with the second timing belt, because if you don't about 275,000 miles it will start to leak.
I replace my timing belts, pump, etc, every 90,000 miles and that seems to work well.
The towing with an AWD is a lot more than replacing the pump along with doing the belt! Been there, done that, only once.
Well 90,000 miles works out at roughly 150,000 KM, so I should be OK :)

A

·
0 Posts
bmorton said:
The interval for Canadian models is every 150,000 km ('97-'99) or every 144,000 km ('00), OR every 6 years.
On a 96 it IS 100KM.

If you have a 2000 you may have a chain

The only way you can be safe - if in any doubt - is to change it

Although most toyotas are non- interference - some have reported damage - it just depends how the engine is being driven when it breaks and the amount of crud on the pistons - and exhaust valves can hit intake valves I beleive

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
All model years of the RAV4.1 use belts, but it does look like the belt replacement interval changed for 1998. Previous to that it was 96,000 km; afterwards they upped it to 144,000-150,000 km depending on year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had my timing,alt. & pwr steering belts done at the same time.The timing belt was original- w/186,000kms on it! Lucked out.Rav97.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like Rockitman I'm from Canada and my 97 Rav is in the shop for timing belt change. I'ts been well over 150kms so its due. Took Stelly's advise also and did the water pump as well.
Keep Rav-ing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
From another thread:

The timing belt? I wasn't sure if it was a 60K or 90K mile maintenace item. I know most guys says to replace it at 60K. Although it can't hurt to have it done 60K, the manual says 90K. http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/truck_service_98_45.pdf

"Tiiming belt replacement only required for Special Operating Condtion 3 as indicated on page 30 of this supplement."

They define Special Operating Conditions as:

1. Towoing a trailer or using a camper or cartop carrier.
2. Repeated short trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.
3. Extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distances ind heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi or patrol car.
4. Operatiing on rough, muddy , or salt covered roadss.
5. Operating on unpaved or dusty roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts