Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what kind of failure would be able to cause a hole like this... this is on the rear cam side when looking at the engine from the front of the car.
Bag Reflex camera Automotive design Personal protective equipment Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what kind of failure would be able to cause a hole like this... this is on the rear cam side when looking at the engine from the front of the car. View attachment 185482
So an update:

Since I’ve asked that this question I finally got the engine on a stand and started taking it apart… and I’m perplexed.

It looks like the exhaust cam on the back side of the engine lost one of the bolts holding the sprocket in place and the bolt got caught in the timing chain cover. For some reason it sheered off all 4 of the intake sprocket bolts holding the vvti unit. The weird thing is the engine was still running without noise so I’m hoping that it happened when all valves where closed and there was no interference with the valves and pistons. At least that’s the position the cam is in now and it’s not turning when I manually turn the crankshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts