Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting the RAV4.

Does anybody know if it has a timing chain or belt? and If it has iridium spark plugs installed?

Does anybody know what the manual saids about the tuneup schedule? I know the Honda Accords specifically state that it's 110k or 115k miles before you have to tune it up (based on whether you get the 4cyl or 6cyl).

How about the fuel filter? I know with the newer Corollas, they're placed in/by the gas tank and don't really require changing. My wife's 2000 is like that, whereas my 1995 Corolla needs to be changed more often.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the whole 100k without a tune-up is a marketing ploy to sell cars. If you go that long without checking/changing radiator fluids, spark plugs, wires or cap you are begging for trouble or a horrible running vehicle.

Check around google to see how many GM owners are happy with their dexcool antifreeze after a few years. :D

http://www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Topic=1095

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Not that I'm a fan of 100k maintenance schedules, but the Dexcool debacle was caused by poor/improper maintenance, it's a good product if the cooling system is maintained properly, I was very happy with it.

Keep the cooling system filled. In fact, fill the reservoir bottle to “Hot” level when the system is cold. Problems arise when a system’s coolant level is not maintained. (Fleet vehicles receiving regular maintenance, and with reservoirs kept slightly above normal, do not show signs of contamination. This even applies to the specific “problem” vehicles.)
http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
bingo Quick. I have been using dexcool for 17 years in many cars from 1965 to 1995 and never had ONE coolant issue. Have not even had one heater core rot out like what usually happens with green coolant after about 100k miles. In all I have had prolly 300k miles on dexcool in all my cars and NEVER had ONE issue. Its poor maintenance not Dexcool .

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
How often do you guys think those iridium plugs should be replaced before you have to worry about them freezing up in the head? I always replace platinums about 30K if they say good for 100K.

OC

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I don't have any experience with iridiums, but here's some readin for ya....at $12 to $20 each, I wouldn't replace them any more than needed, unlike standard plugs which sell for $1-$3 each that last 10k or so.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/spark_plugs_faq.htm#service_life

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

This is what the FSM says...

Iridium-tipped spark plugs are used to achieve a 120,000 miles (193,000 km) maintenance interval. By
making the center electrode of iridium, the superior ignition performance as platinum-tipped spark plugs
is achieved and durability has been increased.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The Rav4's engine is aluminum and has an aluminum head, so you don't really have to worry about the plugs siezing up. The stock iridium plugs are definitely good for 100K miles. However, you should pull the plugs every 20-30K just to check them. I replaced my plugs at 70k miles just because I got a good deal on a new set from Advance Auto Parts. But when I pulled the stock plugs they were good as new and could have made it past 100k miles if I left them in.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
you need to use an anti-seize compond on the plug threads when you install plugs into an aluminum head. If you don't you can have fun getting them out the next time you try. :doh:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
100% true summer. ALWAYS do this.. for all spark plugs to be safe..

summerwind said:
you need to use an anti-seize compond on the plug threads when you install plugs into an aluminum head. If you don't you can have fun getting them out the next time you try. :doh:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with Summer, I always brush on a very small amount of anti-seize to the threads of spark plugs. I use a model airplane brush and wipe off the excess.

Aluminum can gall and cause screw threads to bind up. I use anti-seize on every bolt or screw before I put it back into an engine, it's great stuff.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ummmmmm stupid me. I just changed mine(not my wife's RAV4) but didn't know about this. Is this something I can get from say pepboys or such?

·
Registered
31 Posts
How hard is it to replace the plugs on the V6 when its needed?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does the service manual really say to remove the engine assembly in order to change the rear spark plugs on the V-6?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Iridium plugs could probably last for over 60K miles. I had mine replaced at 60K maintenance service since I felt the engine was a bit bogged down and the shop suspected to replace it. It was slight improvement after the replacement. It is easy to tell if a spark plug is dead. Your engine normally will choke having hard time passing certain higher RPM say 4000rpm and gradually decrease by time. So, if you want to know how long, go ahead and try. It will warn you when it's dying.

The cheapest place to find Iridium plugs i know is at Kragen/O'rilley or Pepboys. I think they're 7 bucks a piece compare to 20 bucks MSRP at dealerships. I bought mine at the dealership when I replaced my Accord's. Back then, I was a rookie at these.

I think 100K scheduled maintenance is for valves adjustment, replace timing belt, take off intake manifold and clean it up, replace valve cover gasket, etc. You'll still need major service in between, probably replace plugs, etc.

Oh, if you decided to replace the plugs yourself. It is important to do the job when the engine is cold. The reason is aluminum block expanding in high temperature, so if you unplug it while its hot you might easily damage/strip the thread on the engine block.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts