Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Toyota RAV4

After I changed the oil and filter with 5w-30 (same as before) I can now hear the timing chain during idle kind of like a rattle (almost scratching to be honest).

Possibly Important Note: I did over fill the engine and ran it for about 2 minutes on idle and drained it to correct levels.

Bonus Problem:

I Have a CEL of P0171 and P0174 and my fuel trim is at 40%.

I have:

1. Put in fuel injector cleaner.
2. Replaced Fuel Pump
3. Cleaned MAF
4. Cleaned Throttle Body
5. Replaced PCV and Hose.

Please Help.

Monico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is your Rav4 auto or manual, if manual, does the noise go away when you press on the clutch?

If not, check for a plugged fuel filter, or a broken or loose vacuum line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying,

It is Automatic, 2 wheel drive, 2.0 Engine.

Sorry I didn't put that in the first post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over fill by maybe .5 quart if less. I used a 5 quart jug and stopped shy, but not shy enough. Engine calls for 4.6.

I also seafoamed the engine crankcase prior to oil change. Could Oil sludge have blocked any of my sensors/oil pump to go hay wire?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rpsedy,

Thanks for the reply, at idle the rpms is around 750 (I believe the norm). I took a stethoscope rod thing and it's loud near where the timing chain sprockets are.

I'm getting new fuel injectors from rock auto, can report on that in about 24-48 hours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update- Possible Solution:

Replaced all four Fuel Injectors, took car on highway and felt much better. Ignition time is a lot quicker.

I also took out the Oil Control Valve (Variable Timing Solenoid) and cleaned it. - This helped with the scratching.

Ordered a new part from RockAuto.com ; will update once new OCV is in or if a CEL illuminates!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts