Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me again. My sister has a 2004 RAV4, and we would like to know about the timing chain. When should it be replaced or serviced? My neighbor has a newer model RAV4 and a Yaris. He said that at 200k is when they need to be serviced or replaced. How much would one cost? Or how much would the service cost?

- Jesse Williams

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is no factory recommended replacement interval for timing chains. The chains are a "life of the vehicle" thing. That being said, it is not impossible for a timing chain and/or the tensioner to eventually wear out. Typically it will start to make noise and eventually get loud on it's way out and that's when you know it's time. So if the chain is running quiet don't loose any sleep over it.

I can think of a ton of other parts that are considered "life of the vehicle" i.e. A/C compressors, or rear ends but those can fail too. Luck of the draw and lax maintenance play a large part I guess.

-Saturday

·
Registered
731 Posts
With normal maintenance, the timing chain should last the life of the vehicle. It is not serviced on a schedule like a rubber timing belt, which does have a finite life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. Thanks for the information, guys. It runs good! However, the VSC/TRAC and Check Engine lights are on. We took it to O' Reilly Auto Parts, and they said it may have a small leak somewhere for the line that goes to the gas tank. They couldn't find why the VSC/TRAC light was on. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with it.

- Jesse Williams

1 - 4 of 4 Posts