Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am having the hardest time finding the actual chain tensioner. I believe it should be located on the back of the engine, but it is really tight back there and can't really see. Does something need to be removed in order to get to it? From what I have read, this was supposed to be a really easy job... I have seen diy for other toyota models but not for a 2001 rav4 (2.0 VVT-I).

A picture or a DIY would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's above the power steering pump... about the same level as the motor mount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's above the power steering pump... about the same level as the motor mount.
I think I have found the tensioner, but there is ~4x2 inch box in the way. There are thick wires/hoses going to the box and not sure how to remove this to get to tensioner... or how it is connected.

Sorry for being such a noob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...any advise how to access the tensioner?
Has anybody replaced the timing chain tensioner on a 2001 rav4?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 AWD RAV4 with 1AZ-FE engine. Thought I had a oil leak from the tensioner so I spent I lot of time trying to locate it. Never found a video on how to change it out specific to a RAV4. I located it where you indicate, under the main harness retainer, right rear engine. With an inspection light, you can just get a glimpse of one side of it. My Haynes Repair Manual Chapter 2, Part B (6)(13) says "Detach the main wiring harness junction and remove the timing chain tensioner from the rear side of the timing chain cover". Illustration 6.13b of the Manual says "remove the two bolts securing the main harness to the timing chain cover and position the harness aside".

Sounds easy but there is very limited clearance and I only see one bolt attaching the harness. I can slide a finger below the cover, No oil. So I am OK. And very glad to leave it alone.

However, I would be concerned about the resulting access after "moving the harness aside". Also, unclear if an O ring or a gasket seal is used.

There are several web videos on how to change it out on other model Toyota's, what it looks like, how it operates, etc. I am concerned about the backward rotation of the crankshaft in order to release the retainer hook and deploy the tensioner. If it does not release and deploy, what then? Screwed?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't worry; it will release. ;)

The seal is not an o-ring. It's a metal gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How to Detach the main wiring harness junction, I removed one obvious nut but at this point not sure if there is a nother bolt hiding or a clip.
Or... do i leave the box attached but just open it up? I really don't want to break anything.
Thanks for all replies

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you take a look at my posts and find my posts on repairing the head gasket, you will find some info there since you have to remove it as part of the process

the hook releasing and deploying is the least of your worries, assuming you follow the directions in the repair manual, it is explained quite well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts