Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post here. Thanks for all these threads and posts.

I've bought a 97 rav4, 3sfe engine. Just did a lot of leak repairs and timing job. I started the car cold today and the belt is "slapping" and sounds like it isn't tensioned enough. Following the manual and snugging the tensioner bolt at 45 degrees, the hash before the 15, 10, 5 and 0 marks. The belt felt loose to the touch.

My kit was an AC delco kit and came with two springs. I used the one that matched what my car had before, it was a tiny bit shorter in length than the other spring. Do I need to put more tension on it somehow? How does this work?

Cheers, smash

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
LugNut is correct. A spring-loaded type tensioner won't adjust itself correctly simply by loosening it's locknut. The engine must be rotated via the crankshaft pulley nut with the locknut loose so the tensioner "sees" the slack and takes it up. Then tighten the locknut and recheck the timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Per manual, I released tension at TDC. Then I rotated the engine for 2 full turns back to TDC and checked timing. All good. Next step was another 1 7/8 turns to the 45 btdc mark. Tightened bolt there, checked again after 2 more. Feels slack by hand pushing down on it. Should it feel very tight and snug? I feel my process is correct. How would I apply more tension?

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I don't go by any manual when adjusting the tension. I loosen the locknut on the tensioner so it can move freely. Then turn the engine so the belt is taunt on the opposite side from the tensioner, usually the front. Make sure the tensioner has taken up the slack on its side of the belt. Pry on it a little until it does if needed. The tighten its locknut. When done correctly the belt should have zero slack and be difficult to twist at all by hand. The only issue I've ever had is getting it so tight it makes a whining noise and has to be loosened a touch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't go by any manual when adjusting the tension. I loosen the locknut on the tensioner so it can move freely. Then turn the engine so the belt is taunt on the opposite side from the tensioner, usually the front. Make sure the tensioner has taken up the slack on its side of the belt. Pry on it a little until it does if needed. The tighten its locknut. When done correctly the belt should have zero slack and be difficult to twist at all by hand. The only issue I've ever had is getting it so tight it makes a whining noise and has to be loosened a touch.
i will give this a try, prying up a bit on my tensioner. the belt currently is not super tight, i will need to tension it more.

whats the fastest way to only play with these parts? Remove ac and ps belts and just top cover? should be able to do everything else after that?

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
i will give this a try, prying up a bit on my tensioner. the belt currently is not super tight, i will need to tension it more.

whats the fastest way to only play with these parts? Remove ac and ps belts and just top cover? should be able to do everything else after that?
I don't have a 4.1 RAV4 so someone else will have to answer you. And many newer designs have tensioners that automatically adjust themselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local Toyota shop gave me some advice. I had my tensioner loose and marks lined up. Put a wrench on the cam gear, crank it barely to the left or counter clockwise and this tensions the belt across the top between water pump and cam. Then tighten the tensioner. This helped a lot. Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
The local Toyota shop gave me some advice. I had my tensioner loose and marks lined up. Put a wrench on the cam gear, crank it barely to the left or counter clockwise and this tensions the belt across the top between water pump and cam. Then tighten the tensioner. This helped a lot. Thanks everyone.
Yep, come to think of it that's probably how I'd have done it with the car in front of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts