Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my sister in laws timming belt, (what a bastard) and now she says that it is a bit sluggish. She had an engine light on before she came in. Not sure what that is yet.

My question is that if I am out a tooth on the cam will it still idle and run good? I was off a tooth at the start and it would hardly run, that is how I knew. So I moved it back one and it started up and idles great. I took it for a drive and it runs good but I did not drive it before I changed it so don't know the power that it should have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish I could help ya. I'm just gonna keep an eye on this thread as I will be R&R our belt sometime over the Summer.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you set the timing wrong and the teeth mark wrong, the damn thing wouldn't even start. If you miss the cam by one mark, it will idle, but slightly sluggish. If it idles smoothly, you're fine with it. As with the sluggish issue, I really can't tell you until I drive it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that what I thought. The engine light is on so something else is causing the flat spot in the power. EGR or something.

I would not recomend change the timing belt on your own. I do all my own stuff and am a very good mechanic and that was the worst job that I have ever done. No room at all, every bolt took an hour to get off as you can not reach anything. It is worth the money to have the dealer do it. Never again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You get better with doing them again - and you make tools to help. I have done 5 of them on my two RAV's and it is a pain to get to some of the bolts. Try taking the power steering pump out, that was fun :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts