Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had installed some tint wraps on my tail lights awhile ago and have had some stubborn lifted edges. I’ve tried going back with the hair dryer and squeegee with little success. Any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Good for you that you like the look, but I would be reluctant to do anything which might alter the lighting output as that could be a safety problem and also wonder whether tinting counters federally mandated lighting standards, if any.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tint isn’t too dark, and the brakes do still light up any road signs behind me which I find to be a good sign. I also don’t think legally it shouldn’t me to attention grabbing as it as a similar appearance too many factory darkened tail lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good for you that you like the look, but I would be reluctant to do anything which might alter the lighting output as that could be a safety problem and also wonder whether tinting counters federally mandated lighting standards, if any.
There are plenty of auto manufacturers that tint their tail lights from the factory....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
A little off subject bet several states are addressing this. Recently Tennessee prohibited tinting of headlights and there are discussions about other tinting. Since this is NOT original to the manufactured car it would be wise to check it out and watch for developments in your own state ....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Then they probably make the lights brighter. All cars have to meet federal lighting standards.
It depends on the state regulations that it's registered with. I've had cars with completely black tail lights, still completely legal. The standards across the board are pretty relaxed. A bulb has a specific light output, it won't change per manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm no expert, but I believe car safety standards are federally regulated (NHTSA), not state. I would assume they would regulate the output of the complete fixture, not just the bulb. You could have black tail light lenses, but they would still have to meet the light output standards.
That's why I'd be careful tinting lenses too dark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, I had installed some tint wraps on my tail lights awhile ago and have had some stubborn lifted edges. I’ve tried going back with the hair dryer and squeegee with little success. Any suggestions.
You needed a heat gun, a hair dryer won't get hot enough. Picked my dual temp on Amazon for about 20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts