Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I bought my Rav4 2011 with side tinted windows, I would like to know if it is possible to remove it's tint from the driver and passenger windows, without replacing the whole windows.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Factory or film?

If film, ammonia will soften the adhesive.
Soak rags in ammonia and secure them against the glass and allow them to go to work.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Factory tint is inside the glass so the answer is no. Replacement is the only way.
Mine didn't have enough tint for me so I had additional applied aftermarket.

You'll need this tool to remove the factory tinted windows:

Reactions: dave_cl

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Factory tint is inside the glass so the answer is no. Replacement is the only way.
Mine didn't have enough tint for me so I had additional applied aftermarket.

You'll need this tool to remove the factory tinted windows:

Is this an official Toyota tool, or does one have to buy it from, say, Snap-On Tools? :D

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
It's generic, no need to pay dealer pricing.:)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if you are talking about the front doors, the glass is not tinted from the factory, since transport canada states that it has to let 70+% of light in, so if they are in fact tinted, it's an aftermarket film that was applied.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
The OEM tint in the RAV front door windows is rather mild, suspect that it meets Canadian regulations. Of course the OP's windows may have had aftermarket tint added.

·
Registered
91 Posts
in the USA, you can have AS2 tempered glass in the front left and right window positions factory installed, and that has to have at least 70% light transfer

Many states ( New Hampshire) prevent additional tinting of that glass by any method.

AS3 glass is darker than AS2, and does not meet the 70% transfer requirement.
Those can be factory installed in any window to the rear of the front seat.

As for Canada, I have no idea, but I have not seen non tinted glass (clear) on a side window in the United States decades.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
I have plenty of the 3rd Gen ravs with untinted windows...probably one of those no cost options...

Hmmm - I don't recall that choice being listed as an option when I ordered my 4.3 RAV.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Now that it's been brought up I've never seen a 4.3 or newer RAV that did not have a slight tint on the front door & passenger door windows. Both of ours have it. Perhaps it has to do with where they are going to be shipped and sold. Down here a good tint shop stays busy all year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Factory or film?

If film, ammonia will soften the adhesive.
Soak rags in ammonia and secure them against the glass and allow them to go to work.
I've been looking for something to do this but no one ever seems to have a way to do it. Is this tried and proven? I'm desperate to remove film tint from the front windows but don't want to end up with a mess. Also a big wide strip of very thick dark tinted plastic along top of windshield that is a REAL pain.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Now that it's been brought up I've never seen a 4.3 or newer RAV that did not have a slight tint on the front door & passenger door windows. Both of ours have it. Perhaps it has to do with where they are going to be shipped and sold. Down here a good tint shop stays busy all year.
I'm pretty sure mine has no tint at all in the driver's door or front passenger's door window, as can be seen in this older photo with a "nice" (ha!) white background:

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine has no tint at all in the driver's door or front passenger's door window, as can be seen in this older photo with a "nice" (ha!) white background:

Looking at and through the glass in the pics it looks tinted to me . . .:wink

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
It's pretty easy to check. Simply take a white sheet of paper, lower the window halfway, and place the sheet against the glass. If the glass is tinted, you will see a slight bluish tint on the paper that's covered by glass.

Many years ago I bought an '84 Mustang used. The passenger side glass had been replaced by an amateur, since you could hear glass fragments tossed around when slamming the door. Using the paper test, it was easy to see the passenger glass was not tinted unlike the rest of the glass.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts