Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to pass on a tip for those who may need to haul around a long kayak or a rowing shell. This tip is only applicable to those who have roof rack crossbars.

On all my past vehicles, I never secured the bow or stern of a kayak because I didn't want the securing line to rub against the paint of the vehicle with the resulting removal of the paint. Also, even though one line would help, it would not prevent the boat from yawing side-to-side.

The other week when I was browsing the RAV owners manual, I noticed that the front tow eye can be attached to either side of the vehicle, in the lower bumper straight below the front turn signals. "Hmmm? I wonder if that would work?"

Our RAVs already come with one eye tow bolt, so I purchased an extra eye tow bolt from the dealership. Kinda pricey. Seventy-something bucks, but the parts guy gave me a discount for some reason. With the governor's cut, I was out the door in the low Sixtys. There are certainly less expensive places to get a tow bolt, maybe a junk yard?

Now, next time I haul a kayak or a rowing shell, I can secure the bow with a line that runs from one bolt on the left side of the car, up to the bow and then down to the bolt on the right side of the car. This makes an inverted "V" shape and will go a long way in both keeping the bow from flying up when at speed, but also mitigate any yaw tendencies.

I have a hitch-mounted rear bike rack, so will use that to secure the stern of the boats.

Just a suggestion for those of you out there who might haul long stuff on the top of your RAVs and haven't thought about using the tow bolt to help secure your load.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here I thought I found something nobody ever figured before. Just proves the old adage, "There's nothing new under the sun."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts