Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Toyota, 2017 Rav4 Hybrid XLE, and the biggest issue I have with it is the use of the battery while driving. I drive almost exclusively in sport mode (I'm an impatient driver) because driving in eco mode is too painful for me; but when I'm cruising on the highway at 65-70 MPH, or even just through town, the battery is almost never used with the engine.

Is there a trick to using the battery more efficiently while driving in sport mode? The best MPG I've gotten on my 50 mile commute to work is 35 MPG. I know that's pretty good but I want to try to utilize the battery more if I can. Any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just bought my first Toyota, 2017 Rav4 Hybrid XLE, and the biggest issue I have with it is the use of the battery while driving. I drive almost exclusively in sport mode (I'm an impatient driver) because driving in eco mode is too painful for me; but when I'm cruising on the highway at 65-70 MPH, or even just through town, the battery is almost never used with the engine.

Is there a trick to using the battery more efficiently while driving in sport mode? The best MPG I've gotten on my 50 mile commute to work is 35 MPG. I know that's pretty good but I want to try to utilize the battery more if I can. Any tips are appreciated!
I'd just drive and enjoy the car and wouldn't worry if it's powered by battery or ICE. Hybrid will take care of itself. Depending on your driving and interior temperature setting ICE does start and stop when it's needed.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Your questions are based on some faulty assumptions.

First, lets start with the knowledge that the hybrid system already manages the traction battery efficiently. The only thing you can do to change that is to get in the way and mess it up.

Second, lets disavow you of any ideas that there's any real difference between ECO, normal and sport modes using the on-dash buttons. What these do is "re-map" the throttle pedal response. So they change the way the system responds to how far you press the pedal and how fast. What doesn't change is the available power. IOW, floored is floored in any driving mode. ECO mode gives you maximum control over throttle response, sport gives you the least control and normal is in between.

Sport (S1-6) on the shifter is another thing completely and shouldn't be used for more than a short while as it eliminates most of the regenerative braking and completely eliminates EV mode.

You can drive the HV "impatiently" and still get decent MPG, but you need to learn how to do that by using "pulse-n-glide" techniques.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The system will always have the engine running at 65 mph. Once above 40 or so it will always use the ice. If cruising in town and going 30mph for example and the ice is running, take your foot off the gas the ice will shut off, then lightly press the gas to maintain speed using only the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts