Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2001 RAV4, 2.0 AWD 5-door. It does not have roof rails on the roof, although it has 3 brackets on either side where said rails can be fitted.

I live in Botswana and even though Toyotas and RAV4's are quite popular here, I can't seem to find factory-parts for this model (probably because it's an older model). And while I could get Thule or maybe even Frontrunner rails and a roof rack, those are just too expensive for me at the moment and I don't really want to spend so much on a 15 year old car.

Hence I have found some local welders who could make me a custom roof rack according to my specs and for less than half of what I'd pay for a Thule or Frontrunner rack. The thing is, since I'd be getting it custom made, are there any specific things I should mention to them when making the rack, for example, to include a slanted metal sheet on the front for wind deflection, to add a couple of handles/hooks on each side for tying things down with ropes/straps etc etc? They can even make me jerry can, gas cylinder, shovel and jack holders as well...although those holder aren't necessaties for now.

I don't want to get the rack made and then later realise "Oh dammit...I should have done that," or "Perhaps this could have been made like this..." and so on. I have found some photos online of various racks and will try use them as guidelines as to what I need and how I'd like it to look.

Any tips on how to get a custom roof rack made would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I'm also thinking about having them make me a nudge bar with a bash-plate on the bottom and spot-light brackets on the top as well, so any tips on that would be helpful as well.

Thanks guys.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts